Jet Needle Adjustment - really needed for VM Carb tuning if running pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jet Needle Adjustment - really needed for VM Carb tuning if running pods

So, have decided to join the forces of evil and run pod filters.

I am in the process of taking apart my carbs for cleaning and tuning. I have read that I should drop the Jet Needle by a notch, but I have run into a snag... stripped Philips heads, specifically the ones that hold my needle jets in place... I can only get to one of them... FML

So, the question I have is how important is it that the jet needle be dropped a notch if I'm going to be running pods? What happens if I don't? If it's a must, recommendations on how to get the little SOBs out?

As long as you go up on the main jet you shouldn't be super-duper lean on the needle, but you might still be a bit lean. If you try it without changing the needle do some mid throttle plug chops right away to make sure you're not running lean and going to burn a hole in your piston. It is important to get the needle setting right because you run on that circuit most of time when you're moving down the road.

If there is enough screw head sticking up try to put a small vice grips on it to turn it out. If not then try cutting a new slot with a dremel that you could get a screwdriver into. You could try to use a small "easy out". Worse case scenario/last resort you grind or file the head off, lift of the linkage, and put a vice grip on the stubs to turn them out. Best of luck, stripped screw heads stink
    Regards,
    Jason

Comment

Um, you probably want to raise the needle, not drop it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Um, you probably want to raise the needle, not drop it.
        Yep. Keep in mind that you raise the needle by moving the clip down, but you want to RAISE the needle.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wait a minute, you have screws holding the needle jets in place? WTF?

Comment

He means the needles...that he has to take the linkages off the slides to get to. He said he has VM carbs.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back! Yes Jet Needles, not Needle Jets

By dropping a notch I did mean raising the needle by moving the retaining clip down a notch, poor phrasing on my part. I do appreciate the clarification though!

While I have them apart I'll do what I can to get the bastards out, I have some needle nose pliers that might reach down there. I'll also stop by the hardware store and see if they have any "easy outs" that that small... they are so tiny... buy even as I think about that, not sure how I'll get a drill bit down there...

I suppose I will need to pray to the dark gods of motorcycle repairs, anyone know of an appropriate sacrifice?

Comment

Have you tried a JIS screwdriver in the appropriate size?

Comment

That could be an issue, I'll need to take a closer look once I'm back home.

Comment

I was able to coax all but one screw out. The one that I didn't, drilled the head off, then used needle nose plyers to remove the shaft. I will replace all of them with standard philips head once I'm ready to rebuild. In the mean time, I will now be able to raise the needle a notch on all of them... I'll let you know if I'm able to get things going with the pods...

Comment

Use Allen head screws, then it's easy to get them out and back in again.

Comment

As mentioned, get a set of JIS screwdrivers. They will change your life!
                        1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
                        sigpic
                        My GS550 Build

Comment

+1 on JIS screwdrivers. I could not get the screws you mentioned loose. One of them was stripped pretty bad. The JIS screwdriver did the trick.
                          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

You did read the Pods, Pipe, Panic thread at the top of the Carb page?

We need to make that mandatory for anyone going pods

The VMs can be tuned at several levels to near or perfect settings
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I sure did!

Great read, and it's the thing that tipped me to the dark side. If I had CV carbs I would have likely just gotten new boots for my air box. I'm actually now in the process of putting my carbs back together after stripping them, dipping them, and putting on new o-rings. I'm taking my sweet time, as my new main jets have yet to arrive. I've raised the pins a notch, and I'll be doing research tonight on the best starting points for the fuel and air screws... I'm open to suggestions...

Comment

Working...
                              X