Poor Man's Carb Sync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Man's Carb Sync

Someone started yet another thread about a cheap way to build a carb sync tool. Not that I would ever actually build one of these, but it occurred to me that there is a pretty cheap way of doing this. This one might be even cheapest one yet and work better than most. Give it a whirl.

poormans_Carb_sink.jpg

The theory here is that the carb to be adjusted is compared to the average of the other 3. The 4 way vacuum "T" is in effect a little manifold to average 3 of the ports. The 4th is compared differentially using the clear tubing and water.

As a recommended tuning procedure, first go through all the manifold ports looking for the one that varies the most from the other three. Adjust that port to be the same as the average as the others.

Next find the next port with the largest deviation from the other three. Then continue the process of adjustment to bring that one in line.

Continue until they are all balanced and you will have a very accurate balance based on absolute differential measure. Because you're using a water, there will be a lot of movement because of the relatively low density (compared to mercury for example).

A little tape on the clear tubing (one piece on each end) will establish zero differential. If you see air on either side, you then know which way to go.

NOTE: You have to put the drilled JBWeld plug/bleeders in for this to work.

One role of this stuff would probably be all you need assuming you have some "T" adapters and the port adapters. used bottled or distilled water of course. If you want to be snazzy some food coloring and of course Ichiban approved assembly marking tape.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...EX9CGW1D361921
    Last edited by posplayr; 09-07-2015, 07:59 PM.

Im certainly no pro but when I put my 1150 carbs together I used a piece of piano wire and turned the idle adjuster until #3 carb let the wire just barely slide out then adjusted the others with the nut & screw until the wire felt the same. When it started I had to turn the idle screw way up but it sounds good. Ill follow it up with my synch tool but I just did it to see how close I will be tomorrow when I finish the job with the tool. I think this might work decent for those without a synch tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarat View Post
      Im certainly no pro but when I put my 1150 carbs together I used a piece of piano wire and turned the idle adjuster until #3 carb let the wire just barely slide out then adjusted the others with the nut & screw until the wire felt the same. When it started I had to turn the idle screw way up but it sounds good. Ill follow it up with my synch tool but I just did it to see how close I will be tomorrow when I finish the job with the tool. I think this might work decent for those without a synch tool.
      You should always bench sync if possible.

Comment

Working...
      X