82 GS650 carb leaking heavily, video inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS650 carb leaking heavily, video inside

I have been having throttle response issues with my '82 GS650GLZ, so i decided to pull the carbs off and perform a cleaning. I don't have a carb synch tool, so I just did a cleaning without unganging the carbs from one another, following the guide in this video: https://youtu.be/95nlrP-yn2I Before removing the carbs and performing this clean there were no leaks.

After performing the clean, re-assembling the carb, and putting the bike back together I was able to get her started, and she actually seemed to run a bit better. Then I noticed the massive amount of fuel dripping onto the ground.

It seems to be leaking between the two left hand carbs, I believe its the fuel distribution line between the carbs. I did not take this part off, what could have happened?

Here is a video that shows the problem:

Thanks.

So is that a yes or no to it looking like the o-rings between the carbs? That is what i am really asking. I don't know why people with "clout" on forums like to be demeaning to people asking simple questions.

Comment

There are o-rings on the vent tees between the carbs, and if you dipped them in cleaner, they are done.

While unfortunate, you will need to take them apart and reclean them. The o-ring kits you can source through member robertbarr on here will get you over the hump.
      '83 GS650G
      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Understand that with vacuum line from petcock disconnected, no fuel is passing thru that interconnection line and float bowls are not being refilled so no leak. The o- rings on that line might not have liked your cleaning solution. Probably 30 + years old. And there are lots of other o-rings internal to carbs.
        If you are going to go to trouble of removing/cleaning these carbs, best to do it right or hope you get lucky with a quickee approach.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

looked to me like fuel was all over the place????
          worth a check to see if you have the fuel lines and vent lines mixed up???
          Last edited by Guest; 09-08-2015, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
            It's a good point, and worth checking. The old fuel line might also not be sealing well on the nipple, due to being old and cracked, or the wrong size, and just draining down around it.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I should clarify that I did not dip the entire carb body, only the pieces that I could remove from the carbs while they were still ganged. (main jet, idle jet, bowls, caps, slides and springs) The o-rings between 1&2 should have stayed how they were when I pulled the carb the first time, as I did not remove them or dip them. I'm guessing that the process of removing and disassembling the carbs, bumping them around must have jarred the deteriorating o-rings there enough to finish them off. I just wanted some feedback that my findings seem correct.

I already have the o-ring kit from cycleorings.com. I was going to do a full clean and o-ring change, but found larger problems with these carbs that swayed me to not do a full rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
                The video is looking between carbs 1&2. If i'm not mistaken, the fuel feed is in the center, between 2&3. The vents are between 1&2 and 3&4. You can sorta see the one between 1&2: the black T sitting directly behind the spot the fuel is leaking.

I don't think its a bad fit on the fuel inlet either, since it is only leaking between 1&2 and nowhere else.

Just seems strange that the interconnect would start leaking this heavily if I didn't touch it.

Comment

Originally posted by solarisin View Post

Just seems strange that the interconnect would start leaking this heavily if I didn't touch it.
                  The interconnect O-rings are typically hard and brittle/cracked, so it's not strange at all for them to leak.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Nessism has a rebuild tutorial at the bottom of his posts and you got a link to the O-rings.
                    Do this and solve the problem.
                    If you don't want to do this send them to me.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                    X