Could 7 valves out of spec be "normal"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could 7 valves out of spec be "normal"?

Thanks for reading. I just checked my valve clearances and 7 of them won't even fit a .04mm shim. The bike was running 5 years ago - though I honestly can't remember how well (or not well) it was running at the time. Could this even be possible? I can't really figure out how they get tighter over time, you'd think they'd get loser.

Also, since they're all so tight, how do I know what size shims to replace them with?

Yes, it's possible.

Inventory your shims. Remove them ONE AT A TIME, record the number on the shim. Since you know the history of the bike (how many miles on it?), you might get by with dropping one size. Note that you might be able to swap a few shims around and minimize how many you need to procure.

Why do they get tighter? Because they bang into the seats about 2500 times every mile (in top gear). Do that for 3000 miles (the recommended service interval), each valve is closing on the seat over 7.5 million times (allowing for occasional use of lower gears). The action will compress the seat just a bit and/or reshape the face of the valve just a bit. Either way, the valve is going to sit just a little bit deeper, which shows up at the other end as less clearance between the cam and the shim.

This is about the time when I invite you to take advantage of the offer in my signature.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks for the info Steve, and you already sent me your spreadsheet, so thanks for that too. I was just a little confused by it and I am just trying to learn everything I can about this thing!!

Comment

Need some help with it?
        I'm pretty close if you get stuck.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxdpower View Post
          Thanks for the info Steve, and you already sent me your spreadsheet, so thanks for that too. I was just a little confused by it and I am just trying to learn everything I can about this thing!!
          If you have questions about the spreadsheet or the adjustment procedure, let me know. Both are rather easy.
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            If you have questions about the spreadsheet or the adjustment procedure, let me know. Both are rather easy.
            Yeah, I'm working through it. Two shims didn't have the sizes stamped so I'm trying to solve that problem now.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Need some help with it?
            I'm pretty close if you get stuck.
            Thanks! I may take you up on that. Where are you located?

I'm working with Ray (GhostGS1) to get the right shims at the moment as he's a Colorado local as well. I cannot thank the people on this site enough for all the help I've gotten so far!

Comment

Working...
            X