Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Synch

I'd appreciate anyone's help on this.

I have a 1982 GS1000. I've read that people bench synch the carbs using a paper clip or piano wire. I can't get my carbs to close up that close. I could almost fit a pencil below the slide. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

have you run the idle adjustment knob on the bottom between carbs 2 & 3 all the way down? sounds like you have the knob ran all the way in.

Comment

And, rather than use some arbitrary piece of hardware that might not get positioned EXACTLY the same from one carb to the next, why not just close them down as far as you can, but still leave a sliver of light around the edge?

By bench synching with the "sliver of light" method, I have gotten VERY close on the vacuum sync.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        And, rather than use some arbitrary piece of hardware that might not get positioned EXACTLY the same from one carb to the next, why not just close them down as far as you can, but still leave a sliver of light around the edge?

By bench synching with the "sliver of light" method, I have gotten VERY close on the vacuum sync.

From Steves Photos

Currently in the Stable :
        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Thanks, Wing. I am at work, don't have access to my photos.

EDIT: just checked out, I'm heading for home.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I use a piece of piano wire & turn the idle screw until it just releases from #3, then adjust the others with the 8mm size lock nut & screw the same so the wire just releases. That's pretty close to start with and do the running synch or run it like that if you don't have the tools

Comment

I vote for the sliver of light method.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I bench sync'd a few weeks back using just closing them and feeling when they bottomed out, I was surprised how close I got them - only one required less than half a turn adjustment.

However - I only consider it a starting place as you should always vacuum sync with gauges asap to get the engine running smoothly and evenly

Comment

My carbs have a slide and not a butterfly. Should they be all the way down?

Comment

Originally posted by BigVic54 View Post
                    My carbs have a slide and not a butterfly. Should they be all the way down?
                    If you have stock carbs, there is a butterfly.

If you look in from the airbox side, you WILL see a slide, but between that and the exit of the carb into the intake runner, there is a butterfly. It will look a LOT like the picture that Wingsconsin posted in post #4.

The slides that you see are essentially a "variable venturi". The opening under that slide is controlled by vacuum which is generated by the amount of air rushing under the slide. At rest, there will be at least 1/4" of space under the slide.

Last edited by Steve; 09-17-2015, 04:01 PM.
                    sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

image.jpgThese are my carbs. No butterfly.

Comment

The butterfly is on the intake side of the carbs......this photo is of the opposite side.

Comment

Originally posted by BigVic54 View Post
                          These are my carbs. No butterfly.
                          Read post #10.

Then look at the picture in post #4.

If you don't believe us, I will give you a link to the pictures in the Suzuki factory manual.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

I believe you. So I'm going to have to take them off to bench sync them. Or use a carb sync.

Should the the slides be adjusted?

Comment

Take them off....and dip, new orings, bench sync per http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/. Follow the carb rebuild link found on bikecliff's awesome page.

Comment

Working...
                              X