Fuel Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Cap

Hi all, scanned through the forum and haven't had much success with an interesting problem I have. My fuel cap is "loose" and rattles while riding. I thought for months I had forgotten to tighten something on the front end, checking, rechecking, torque wrench etc only to notice the cap moving 1 afternoon.
    Anyone else had this issues? Is there a way to adjust it without just replacing it with a new one? I've looked around thinking perhaps I could just buy replacement gaskets for it, not......
    Anyone else ever had this issue?

You sure that you got correct fuel cap and not a sorta fits generic replacement?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Its the correct cap, the handle broke off the original and I'm using one off one of the spare tanks I have. When I first started using this one all was good, then after a few weeks it started rattling.

Comment

There is generally a spring seat supporting the cap seal. They go rusty. Could it have broken up and is letting the cap sit too far down ?
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I don't see any type of spring at all. I seems to fit into the filler hole flush to the top of the tank, once the tab is locked, the cap will still turn a bit.

Comment

Lift the rubber cap seal. Underneath there should be a thin metal disk thing supporting it like a large thin belleville washer. It provides the resistance as you push the cap closed and holds the cap up against the bottom of the filler neck.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
            X