RPM Jump While Riding! HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPM Jump While Riding! HELP!

This being my first post, I will introduce myself. My name is Terry and I have a '82 GS750T that I purchased from a friend I work with. Overall the bike looked great but my first mistake was overlooking the fact that he had to ride with the choke out a little in order for the bike to run properly. He was running pods and said that he and a friend tinkered with the bike a little to make it "better." Being a complete newbie to a carbohydrate , I overlooked that and was so excited to have a bike again!! Well I might have had a bike again but it sat in my garage for a year with me trying to fix all the stuff that they had done to it. Like I said before, he was running pods and they had also changed out the rear sprocket to take out one of the teeth. They also changed the main jets only from 112 to 136. Crazy right?

Well I searched through countless forums and websites till I found this one (which is the best thing ever ) and used all your info and amazing experience to help get her back running the way she should. I changed all the gaskets on the engine (except the head and lower, no clue how to do the mechanical stuff). Found the factory air box on ebay and a junk yard and put that on. Disassembled the carbs and gave them a good cleaning and soak. Re-adjusted the float heights because the P.O. had changed that during his "fix". Put brand new main/pilot/starter jets in. Put it back to the 112 for the mains. I shimmed the needle up a hair due to the fact that the ebay box had two holes in the filter housing versus the one I saw in factory pictures. I did this to maybe keep it a little richer in the higher throttle parts. Also checked the diaphragm on the slides and there were no holes in them and had good suctions once placed in. Did a bench sync for the carbs. Checked the air boots on the box and engine and they were free of cracks. Put a little bit of Mystery Oil on it and carbs popped right in! Changed out the vacuum and fuel lines to make sure good flow and had no cracks. Changed the spark plugs. Changed the battery. Had someone put new tires and fork seals in to make sure it was safe to ride. And I did an oil change. Once all that was done, I did a true sync to the carbs with the adjustments shown through the welcome packet! Also adjusted the air screws as well. Started 2 turns out and went from there.

All this was said just to let you how helpful this forum has been and what has been done to the bike. The problem I am having is that once she is warmed up and running, anything past 1/4 throttle the RPM's jump about 1,500 or so and the bike loses power while riding. I can let off the throttle and it immediately drops down to normal and power comes back, but any pull past 1/4 throttle she will do this. It is a real bother when trying to pass someone or if in any emergency I don't have any go to get out of the way! She starts up perfect. A little choke and two clicks and she is up and running. I checked the plugs and they all have good blue spark and do not look gritty or burnt. I have even run with the choke out a little to see if it would enrich the mixture and maybe stop it if it was starving for fuel in the high gears and RPM's but to no avail. I can not figure it out. If any of you guys might know a solution or have come across this I would greatly appreciate it. I would love to be able to ride without the fear of losing total power! I appreciate your help!!

wow just reread this and I said "newbie to a carbohydrate" hahahaha I meant to a carburetor bike. Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by TERRYLUV0327 View Post
      wow just reread this and I said "newbie to a carbohydrate" hahahaha I meant to a carburetor bike. Thanks guys!
      I liked the carbohydrate comment. Did you replace the o-rings between the carbs and head? You might have an air leak there or somewhere else. Where in VA? There could be a member close enough to lend a hand.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

"I would love to be able to ride without the fear of losing total power!"

yes, this is an excellent idea if you'd prefer living!
        So in summary,warmed at 1/4 throttle rpms jump 1500 or so but no real power. Sure sounds like air leak on engine side of carbs. This critter does not have the o-rings at head apparently, but maybe those clamps ain't clamping enough so air is leaking in as engine load rises.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          "I would love to be able to ride without the fear of losing total power!"

yes, this is an excellent idea if you'd prefer living!
          So in summary,warmed at 1/4 throttle rpms jump 1500 or so but no real power. Sure sounds like air leak on engine side of carbs. This critter does not have the o-rings at head apparently, but maybe those clamps ain't clamping enough so air is leaking in as engine load rises.
          Correct! I did check and there is no o-ring there. I will tighten up the boots and see if she gets a little better. I will let you know if this helps! thank guys!

Comment

So when I got home last night, I took the boots off just to make sure there were no cracks that I had missed and there where a couple per boot. I guess I overlooked it I took them and used a little bit of grey RTV and smoothed it out in the cracks and am letting it sit for 24 hours to cure. Hopefully see if that might help. Also gunna look through the forum cuz I remember that someone had a link to a couple of places that sell the engine and air box boots. Thanks for your help guys! Will update once I get everything back on and/or the new boots one.

Comment

Your style boots are cheap- get new and look for other stuff to do...

Shop online for OEM Cylinder Head parts that fit your 1982 Suzuki GS750T, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

[QUOTE=TERRYLUV0327;2225349]
                Disassembled the carbs and gave them a good cleaning and soak.

Did you soak them in a proper way? such as berryman's carb dip. What did you use to soak them in? Did you spray all cleaned parts with carb cleaner and then blow out all the tiny passages with compressed air? This is doing the job the right way and is highly preferred. Ultrasonic cleaning is also good.
                Good luck with getting it fixed right.
                Also, welcome to the forum
                Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

If the engine speeds up when adding throttle and "power goes away", it sounds like the clutch is slipping.

Once everyone else jumps on the clutch bandwagon, you will get a bunch of suggestions, but most of the time, new springs will fix it.

A set of springs (six of them) and a clutch cover gasket will set you back about $30. Keep the bike on the side stand, you won't even have to drain the oil to do the job.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I thought clutch when I read this but I'm a rookie.
                    Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                    2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                    1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Ditto on the clutch. Revs up and power down = clutch slip. Quite badly by the sound of it.
                      2016 BMW F700GS - everyday ride
                      1979 GS1000SN - resto project, recently gone
                      1987 Honda GB400TT - latest resto project

Comment

Get new clamps for those boots, if the old clamps are messed up a bit they won't evenly tighten down on the boot groove where the clamp sits. Umm just a thought, you are running the stock air box with a filter no?
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          If the engine speeds up when adding throttle and "power goes away", it sounds like the clutch is slipping.

Once everyone else jumps on the clutch bandwagon, you will get a bunch of suggestions, but most of the time, new springs will fix it.

A set of springs (six of them) and a clutch cover gasket will set you back about $30. Keep the bike on the side stand, you won't even have to drain the oil to do the job.
                          I think you guys might be right. The boots back on and no air leaks. Still rides exactly the same. Ordered new springs and clutch. Hopefully be able to let you know this weekend if it fixes it! Thank you guys for your help!

Comment

That sounds just like my old FJ1100 acted after I bought it....slipped past 2/3 throttle and power was down...well... it wasn't down, it just wasn't getting thru.
                            Does your tach jump when leaning into the gas?...clutch I'd bet. If I drove it like a granny, which wasn't something I was inclined to do back when{22yrs old}, it was ok.
                            While the 1st thing to think of would be springs, check your fibers too when its apart to see if they're worn....fiber plates are cheap - it's the steels that will cost you more. If your steel plates are good looking {not blue-ish from too much slippage} try the springs, but I'd mic the thickness of the fibers while it's all apart, just in case.

Comment

Just to clarify this. If you go past 1/4 throttle the RPMs jump and you have no power. If you continue to twist the throttle do the RPMs continue to rise and you don't move any faster? If so, then it is the clutch for sure. If you hit a wall after 1/4 throttle and the RPMs wont go any higher, then it's something else.

If it is clutch related, have you adjusted the clutch cable? The cable should have a small amount of slack.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                              X