what are these carbs off of and will they fir my 83' gs1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are these carbs off of and will they fir my 83' gs1100e

these carbs came with my recently purchased 1983 gs1100e. i was going to rebuild the stock bs34s but discovered that the PO ruined all the threads in the carb bodies for the mixture screw. at this point it looks like the stock carbs are no good, so i might as well see if these will work. they are mikuni 38mm cv flat slides.

No personal knowledge, but jstewart and JoeH (members here) have an ongoing banter here on that very subject http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...s-on-a-GS-1150
    Last edited by dorkburger; 09-19-2015, 11:30 PM.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Defiantly check the thread, I like mine a lot but there are some draw backs with needle jet wear and slide glide wear.
      Also I have read here about the float height having to be a bunch different, I never had that much of a problem with it, mine are set at 16.5MM which lowers the fuel level 1.5mm and they are are fine. I ran them for many years at 15mm which is the factory setting for those carbs with no problem except it was a bit rich in the lower rpm's.
      Its a pain to get them on the boots especially if the boots are old and hard.

Comment

I know how to set these carbs up for your bike.
        PM me if interested.
        Bill
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
          No personal knowledge, but jstewart and JoeH (members here) have an ongoing banter here on that very subject http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...s-on-a-GS-1150
          just read the thread and it looks like alot more hassle than it's worth with the slide wear problems. any idea what these are off of? the side of the carb body and the float bowl look different than alot of the mikuni 38's online
          Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2015, 03:08 AM.

Comment

If the spacing is the same as your 1100 carbs they are most likely off of a 1990-92 gsxr 750.
            The wear isn't that bad if the slide glides are good your good to go for a long time.
            Chef1366 gave me a quote VERY VERY reasonable.
            I plan on putting some new parts in mine this winter, I need will need something to work on to keep form going crazy!
            The flat slide design give the bike a big shot in the arm, they work well.

Comment

not sure that the spacing is exactly right. i was able to get them on by adjusting the boots a bit, but they seemed a little wide to me. but that may just be because these carbs are way bigger haha

i noticed that the float bowl drain hits the cam tensioner and the cable routing is really close to the frame. im going to inspect the slides and emulsion tubes to see how usable they are, and maybe ill take this route instead of stock carbs.

Comment

I do not have a stock cam chain tensioner so I cannot comment on that. I do however use a large zip tie from the carb rack to the frame of the bike to help hold them a bit but mine are on an 1150
                do you know what jets and needles you have?

Comment

no i havent torn into them yet. may pull the floats and needles tonight. i was looking at the throttle cable hookup, and it kinda looks like these carbs are set up for dual cables. dont really want to deal with changing the throttle setup.

Comment

Push pull came on the Katanas and GSX1100G motors in the early nineties.
                    Are you sure it is a 38mm? You measured?
                    I am not sure if they came off an oil cooled or water cooled. Water cooled won't fit.
                    If you got them on your boots they are oil cooled.
                    Get new GS1150 boots to help on fitment.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

They do Look a bit different than the 38's I have.....

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        Push pull came on the Katanas and GSX1100G motors in the early nineties.
                        Are you sure it is a 38mm? You measured?
                        I am not sure if they came off an oil cooled or water cooled. Water cooled won't fit.
                        If you got them on your boots they are oil cooled.
                        Get new GS1150 boots to help on fitment.
                        yeah i measured they are for sure 38mm

Comment

I Think Chef1366 could answer this; I have been told that the water-cooled carbs would fit if the boots were moved around a bit, I have never seen the water-cooled carbs so I don't know.
                          Could these be one from a water-cooled giver??

Comment

Take off the intake boots on the head and measure distances from end to end and in between and compare to the carbs. If they do not match they are water cooled.

Comment

Working...
                            X