78 1000 Brand New Petcock leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 1000 Brand New Petcock leaking

I just finished treating my tank with evaporust and wanted to get some gas in there right away so I put the petcock back on and it started leaking from the fuel nipple. I took it apart and tried to clean it but it still kept leaking. Drip, drip, drip.

I remembered I had a brand new one from Suzuki for a 78 750 that I dont have anymore so I put that one on. Same thing. Keeps dripping. I put the vacuum line and pulled a vacuum and it flowed out full but would never shut off.

Any ideas?
    David
    1998 Suzuki Bandit
    1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
    1978 GS1000 - gone
    1981 GS850 - gone

Very odd that a new and old petcock would leak.
    Are sure that it is dripping "from" the new fuel nipple and not from the tank seal and "off" the fuel nipple?
    Maybe the rubber seals in the new one have shrunk while sitting on a shelf for 30 years and will swell/seat after a gas soak.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Hey Steve,

Yes it is strange for sure. I am thinking there are minions in my garage. I did look carefully and made sure it was dripping right at the fuel nipple and not the bolt holes or seal. I might have to try soaking the rubber parts in gas for awhile. It was in my attic in a box for a few years. I was also wondering if it was more the diaphragm area or the front of the petcock with the supply channels that is causing it to leak. I hate to replace the rubber parts on a brand new petcock.

Thanks.
      David
      1998 Suzuki Bandit
      1978 GS1000 - gone
      1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Does Evaporust hurt the rubber parts? I wouldn't have thought so.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I dont think they do either but I had pulled the petcock off prior to using evaporust and plugged the holes. Thx.
          David
          1998 Suzuki Bandit
          1978 GS1000 - gone
          1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

you have the bolt sealing washers on it??? maybe it's leaking there and not the nipple?

Comment

I actually wiped the bolts with a paper towel to make sure and they were dry. It is for sure coming from the fuel nipple. Thx.

I do need some of the those washers if anyone has a good source. Right now I am using a rubber and metal washer combo but they are holding up.
              David
              1998 Suzuki Bandit
              1978 GS1000 - gone
              1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

I have used hardware store washers with O rings built in, it worked fine.
                http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I just tried looking at my local ACE but they did not have any. I will have to try some other places. Thx.
                  David
                  1998 Suzuki Bandit
                  1978 GS1000 - gone
                  1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Dave

Leaks usually come from one of 2 places:

the rubber disc with the 3 holes in it that is behind the handle
                    The needle valve is controlled by the diaphragm

I can see the old one being subject to ethanol deterioration, but not the new one
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by portdave View Post
                      I just tried looking at my local ACE but they did not have any. I will have to try some other places. Thx.
                      Someone linked to these from Home Depot. At least I think it was the 1/4" version. I just checked and I bought the #12 size. They still fit the 6mm petcock bolts and they're just a bit smaller than the 1/4" washers. Haven't installed them yet.
                      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

looks like you can get brand new gaskets from partzilla. but if the sealing washers are holding up just fine, i'd use those.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                          Dave

Leaks usually come from one of 2 places:

the rubber disc with the 3 holes in it that is behind the handle
                          The needle valve is controlled by the diaphragm

I can see the old one being subject to ethanol deterioration, but not the new one
                          This is what I thought also. I just soaked the 3 hole disc with gas and reinstalled it but that did not work. Still leaking. I may just have to order the new gaskets or a rebuild kit (which I thought would be worse) and see what happens. Thx.
                          David
                          1998 Suzuki Bandit
                          1978 GS1000 - gone
                          1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
                            Someone linked to these from Home Depot. At least I think it was the 1/4" version. I just checked and I bought the #12 size. They still fit the 6mm petcock bolts and they're just a bit smaller than the 1/4" washers. Haven't installed them yet.
                            Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
                            looks like you can get brand new gaskets from partzilla. but if the sealing washers are holding up just fine, i'd use those.
                            Just to make sure I went ahead and found some of the 1/4 ones like the HD ones locally today. I put them on and no leaking at all from the bolts. (I will get the oem ones on my next suzuki order)

Still leaking from the fuel nipple. Back to the drawing board.....or parts supply.
                            David
                            1998 Suzuki Bandit
                            1978 GS1000 - gone
                            1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Well I just looked and you cant get the diaphragm as a part by itself on the petcock so I have to try a rebuild kit.
                              David
                              1998 Suzuki Bandit
                              1978 GS1000 - gone
                              1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Working...
                              X