Float needle and seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float needle and seat

My float needles all have weak springs. I have read that it is best to replace the needles and seats as a set, but that looks rather expensive. Needles only doesn't seem overly pricey. How well do new needles in the old seats seal? Where is the best place to buy genuine? Does anyone sell the needle/seat assembly at a reasonable price? I don't want aftermarket.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

With the floats installed, does the float compress the plunger or does the float stay up? The needles don't have a lot of strength to begin with. It's just enough to keep the float from compressing the spring dry

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
      With the floats installed, does the float compress the plunger or does the float stay up? The needles don't have a lot of strength to begin with. It's just enough to keep the float from compressing the spring dry
      The weight of the floats are partially compressing the springs, making it difficult to set the float height accurately. I will be adjusting for fuel level after I get them back on the bike, so I'm not really sure if the weak springs matter. Does it? I haven't been having any leakage.

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

On some other bikes, the springs in the needles aren't designed to be strong enough to hold the floats up when the carbs are upside-down. So yes, this arrangement can and does work fine, although it's hard to say for sure that it will work fine on your particular GS with your particular assortment of weak springs. Worth a shot, I guess.

To set the float level when the needle springs are too weak to hold the float up without compressing, simply tilt the carbs at a 45 degree angle instead of lying flat.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I really would prefer not having weak springs. The main question is, are needles only a good option? I haven't found genuine Mikuni anywhere. Are the ones Z1 sells any good?

1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

If the original needles have no visual wear (as in no ring or scaring around the seat area) then just replace the needles. If there is any sign of wear then replace the needle and seat as an assembly. I've had reasonable luck using aftermarket needle seat assemblies form partsNmore.com.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
            X