BS32SS Jetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BS32SS Jetting

I have an 82 GS850G. I've been thinking of putting on a 4-1 exhaust. I know I have to jet the carbs and the kits that are advertised call for stage 1,2 and three. Which one do I use? Also is it necessary to change the intake filter to the pods.
    Thanks, Bob

Pods aren't necessary. And the general recommendation is to go up 2 sizes on the pilot jet for exhaust, but it will depend on what your bike will like. Some have had to rejet, others haven't. They also say it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer

Comment

Does that mean I would use a stage 2 kit or just two sizes from what are in the carbs now?

Comment

Just up 2 sizes from what is in there now, not a stage 2 kit.

Comment

It also depends on your pipe.

Some pipes advertise "no jetting necessary". The way to interpret that is that they don't flow any more air than the airbox can handle, so there is no need to increase the jet size. That would also indicate that it's relatively restrictive, which you can interpret as QUIET.

I have a rather quiet pipe on my bike. No idea who made it but it sounds great. Took it off my son's bike before we sold the bike, kept the jets that were in the carbs, too. I have not done any official testing to determine if they are proper, but they are close. I have 125 mains, which is four sizes larger than stock. Might be a little rich for my bike, have 122.5 and 120 jets available for testing.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
            X