Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke Delete/Relocate

Hey guys,
    I have searched but maybe I didn't do a very good job?
    I'm looking at deleting the choke on my '80 GS850. The reason behind it is to just clean the look a bit (cafe style). I have a friend who has the same bike and when he bought it it didn't have one at all, which means he has to reach under the tank and push on the rod to set the choke. Now that would be a pain in the butt if you needed to set it to a certain RPM while working on the bike.
    Anyways, my question is, would something like this work (http://www.dimecitycycles.com/motorc....html?cat=2132) and route it to where the petcock is, or maybe even under the seat?
    Or could i buy a turn signal control which has a choke lever on it?
    Thanks,
    Sebastian

I didn't have a cable, so I just put a coin behind the first little gizmo that pulls the first carb's choke on the left end of the rod. Different size coin gives different amount of choke.
    But my cable got here yesterday, it's going in now.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      I didn't have a cable, so I just put a coin behind the first little gizmo that pulls the first carb's choke on the left end of the rod. Different size coin gives different amount of choke.
      But my cable got here yesterday, it's going in now.
      Haha that's pretty creative. I guess that's what I'll do, just have to keep a couple of coins in the pocket.
      Thank you sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Sebastian24 View Post
        Hey guys,
        I have searched but maybe I didn't do a very good job?
        I'm looking at deleting the choke on my '80 GS850. The reason behind it is to just clean the look a bit (cafe style). I have a friend who has the same bike and when he bought it it didn't have one at all, which means he has to reach under the tank and push on the rod to set the choke. Now that would be a pain in the butt if you needed to set it to a certain RPM while working on the bike.
        Anyways, my question is, would something like this work (http://www.dimecitycycles.com/motorc....html?cat=2132) and route it to where the petcock is, or maybe even under the seat?
        Or could i buy a turn signal control which has a choke lever on it?
        Thanks,
        Sebastian
        The OE choke is a cable - you can exit the knob anywhere you like - use a car cable or even a bonnet-release t-handle for a bit of extra funkiness.
        ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

If you want the one on the left handgrip, you need controls from an '82-and-up bike. You will also need the cable AND the bracketry that mounts to the carbs, AS WELL AS the "choke" rod that goes through all the carbs AND the stuff that holds the end of the cable between carbs 3&4.

It's very doable, I have done it to my bike, but it's not as simple as just changine the housing on the left side of the handlebar.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thank you for the replies everyone.
            Steve, I might go that route. If I do, I will update the post with the part numbers.
            Thank you

Comment

My lever broke a few years ago. I just pull the string to choke and crank. Makes starting the bike a 2 handed affair, but it generally warms up quickly, so its not a big deal.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

That's pretty neat. I'll keep it as is right now until the bike runs in tip top shape, then once is dialed in I'll do something similar. Then if I really feel the need that I need a choke, I'll prly end up with what steve proposed

Comment

Working...
                X