No announcement yet.

Tappet clearance & compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah that probably wouldn't have bent it then. Just stating a possibility. Have you done a leakdown test yet? Its easier than a compression test, believe it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by ddlaz View Post
      Yeah that probably wouldn't have bent it then. Just stating a possibility. Have you done a leakdown test yet? Its easier than a compression test, believe it or not.
      I'll try it today. I have the equipment. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

OK, I did a leak down test. Cylinders #2 & #4 are fine, #1 & #3 not so good. When I get the new shims I'll do another compression test. The last one was good but I'll try again.

Comment

Ouch, sorry to hear that. what clearances do/did you have on 1 and 3? If you have no clearance at all, then thinner shims may help, but they must be stuck open for there to be a leak.

Comment

Ouch, sorry to hear that. what clearances do/did you have on 1 and 3? If you have no clearance at all, then thinner shims may help, but they must be stuck open for there to be a leak.
            I'm fairly sure the valves were closed when I did the test. I could slide a feeler gauge between the shim and cam with the cylinder at TDC. One question, and I know I'll be getting bad news, I could hear noise coming out of cylinder #2 when I tested cylinder #1 even though #2 tested fine. Am I going to be in the market for a new head gasket?

Comment

Tough to say...you sure noise was coming out of cylinder 2 and not just because of their proximity to each other?

Head gasket would typically show the problem both ways.
              Small possibility that the exhaust valve is bent on cylinder one, so the air went through the exhaust and down to the crossover(sorry, don't know which bike you have) where the noise resonates up back to the #2 cylinder. Just a wild guess.

Comment

Tough to say...you sure noise was coming out of cylinder 2 and not just because of their proximity to each other?

Head gasket would typically show the problem both ways.
                Small possibility that the exhaust valve is bent on cylinder one, so the air went through the exhaust and down to the crossover(sorry, don't know which bike you have) where the noise resonates up back to the #2 cylinder. Just a wild guess.
                The bike is a 1982 GS1100GL. It has 4 into 1 exhaust and no crossover. When I put my finger on the #2 spark plug hole the noise decreased.

Comment

Working...
                X