carb rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb rebuild

Hello people this is my first thread so easy does it .just bought a gs850g jap import 1980/81 ,wasnt running so carbs need rebuild was told was 850 so i ordered 850 repair kit .now know it 750 engine and carbs will the 850 kit be ok to fit , have only just got the log book so thats how i saw the 750 .bit long winded but couldnt find a post on it .

In 1980 both 750 & 850 should be using BS32 carbs, with slightly different jet/needle settings. Depending whats in the kit, it should work

Comment

Your best bet is to NOT use a "kit". "Rebuild" kits usually contain parts of questionable quality and don't even contain all the parts you will need to do the job properly. To add insult to injury, those kits are $25-30 EACH, and you will need four of them. Much better to get an o-ring kit from cycleorings.com and use all the existing brass jets in your carbs. Do your bike a favor, also get the o-rings for the intake boots, along with stainless bolts for the boots. All of that together will cost you less than one "rebuild kit". You will also need to fully disassemble the carbs and soak each one overnight in carb cleaner dip. The can of 'dip' will also cost you less than one "rebuild kit". Yes, there is a bit of time involved (several days), but it is worth it in the end.

Follow this tutorial to rebuild your carbs, your bike will thank you for it.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks for reply guys. started to strip carbs found somone had possibly used wrong size screw driver in pilot jet and broken half of the top away checked bit further 2 of the air adjuster screws had 2 orings missing and 2 springs missing and float chamber orings also missing .guess once they broke the top of jet they gave up. but still not got jet out yet but thanks for replys guys .

Comment

Working...
        X