Carb Dip aftertmath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Dip aftertmath

I'm in the process of dipping all 4 carbs of my 650. I've read all the manuals to the dip process. I do not have access to compressed air so I've been rinsing with hot water and spraying with carb clean and wiping dry and air drying what I miss. It just doesn't seem like the carb dip is doing a great job cleaning. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.
    IMG_7382.jpg
    Not too sure why it uploaded sideways but this is what all 4 needle valve seat holes look like. why is this? It just doesn't seem like they're actually getting clean.. Some parts of the carbs look better but others look the same if not worse with all this crustacean built up.

Its not gonna scrub them like shiney new..thats your job. The dip will dislodge and dissolve scale only to a certain point. It will be loose but you have to take Qtips and carb spray, some steel wool rolled up and whatever else and do some hand work on them. Be sure the choke plungers move freely and snap back in when you reinstall them too.
    tooth brushes and steel wool along with some carb spray clean the bodies exteriors pretty good too.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Yea any water in the gas settles right in that spot and corrodes the metal. I recently cleaned the carbs on the 550 after putting 40k miles on it and that area was caked with that white residue.

Comment

WHAT are you dipping them in????
        I use Berryman's Professional, and they come out clean in there....

Comment

I use berrymans and there is sometimes real hard scale that needs some manual manipulation to be spotless. point being that nothing is a 100% deal..you still gotta spiffy things up usually.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

About compressed air... I don't have a compressor so I used a can of computer duster. Definitely less pressure but with a tube on the nozzle, you can get into most of the internal passages. My carbs came out pretty clean.
            Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
            2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
            1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

UltraSonic Cleaner would be nice to have access too...
              A quick shake in there would clean off all the scale and deposits I think
              I use an UltraSonic and have never had this kind of issue..
              But I also do not dip the carb bodies - I think the dip discolors the aluminum.
              The U.S. cleaner and some time will get them clear..then a cold water rinse and WD40 spray with some additional compressed air and they come out clean and pretty dry. WD-40 (Water Displacement -40) - I
              In the U.S. cleaner I use Simple Green diluted with ...water...
              I dip the brass parts (jets and other metals but not the aluminum)
              Just my experience..

Comment

Sonic cleaner removes that stuff. I never used the Berrymans, never will, sonic cleaner all the way.
                1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
                1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

I wasn't impressed with Berryman's either. I had better luck with vinegar, and the best I've found is Evapo-Rust from the auto parts store.

Comment

"Gunk carburetor parts cleaner" it's all they had at my local shop.
                    Fjbj40 I looked at sonic cleaners but they're way too expensive for this one time job. Although I am going to buy a compressors once I find a place to put it and then hopefully make a DIY soda blaster for all the outsides to look nice. Mind you this is all after I get everything up and running. Thanks for the replies! Makes me feel less of a mess up about this whole thing.

Comment

Since your signature or your thread mention what year this 650 is, here are the two style rebuild guides that will be of great value to you.

Comment

chuck, all 650s have bs32 cv carbs, unless a PO swapped them with vms or anything else.

Comment

i always ask....like you said, never know whats what these days. I was strongly suspecting CV carbs...but hey!!

Comment

Just out of curiosity, in all the guides I read for the carb cleaning process it says to separate each individual carb's parts.. Why? I can't just dip all the interior parts at once? I mean I haven't but it would sure go faster.

Comment

You can't get all the rubber bits out from the fuel tubes and vents if you leave them together. The vent tee's are plastic too.
                              https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9zH8w8Civs8ejBJWjdvYi1LNTg&resourcekey=0-hlJp0Yc4K_VN9g7Jyy4KQg&authuser=fussbucket_1%40msn.com&usp=drive_fs
                              1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                              1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Working...
                              X