No announcement yet.

Carb Dip aftertmath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there's a chance that the dip can soften, dissolve, or turn those 30+ year old bits of plastic super brittle. the only way to not ungang all 4 carbs is if you have an ultrasonic cleaner big enough to do all 4 all together at the same time.

Comment

I would argue that even with an ultrasonic cleaner you should still de-gang the carbs since flushing the debris out would be next to impossible without doing it. Come one guys, stop with short cuts. Do it right and be done with it. Other wise you're doomed to doing it again.

I both dip and ultrasonic clean disassembled gang when I do carbs.
      http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

And there are filter screens behind the float seats on CV carbs which would also get potentially damaged.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
          I would argue that even with an ultrasonic cleaner you should still de-gang the carbs since flushing the debris out would be next to impossible without doing it. Come one guys, stop with short cuts. Do it right and be done with it. Other wise you're doomed to doing it again.

I both dip and ultrasonic clean disassembled gang when I do carbs.
          i don't plan on taking any shortcuts. I wouldn't have bought a "project" had that been my intention hahaha. Also I don't mean dip the carb's still attached. I mean cam I throw all internal parts in together. Right now I have everything separated by carb in solo cups. 1 cup for each carb (only dipping non plastic or rubber parts). I work my way through one carb at a time. In this order: carb body, float bowl, carb cover, all internal metal parts. 4 separate dip sessions for each carb. I worded my question poorly but it was can I just throw as much in at a time to make this process faster? I guess it is a shortcut but I was just wondering if it mattered.

Comment

Keeping all of your carb parts for each carb separate from the other carbs is a good idea, but you do not have to do the internals separate from the body, bowl and cover.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
            X