Carburettor sticks after a week of non usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carburettor sticks after a week of non usage

My '82 GS100EZ carburettor gets stuck after being idle for periods of more than 4 days. Is the problem in the fuel I use or in the fuel line/supply/carburretor itself?
    After servicing the carbs, all's well for a couple of days, accelerating well, no mis firing etc. However, if I don't use my bike on a regularl basis, I notice the throttle becoming 'sticky', not loose and rotating freely, even the choke gets stuck.
    I didn't have this problem until I changed to a V & H 4-1 exhaust system, following reccomended factory settings for the carburretor. I didn't change to any jet kits. BTW I am using a K & N air filter.
    Am getting kind of desperate now as this situation prevails.
    Any suggestions plse.

Are you sure it's the carbs and not sticky cables?
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Comment

But there is no issue after servicing the carburretor ( without touching the throttle cable ). The other thing I failed to mention earlier was, I cover my bike after use with a tarpaulin cover to prevent animals from urinating on the tires etc. could the enclosed hot air from the engine cause fuel evaporation within the carburettor and cause internal moveable parts to stick together?

Comment

You say "no issue after servicing the carburretor" . How did you service the carbs w/o touching the cables??
          Last edited by Guest; 10-29-2015, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I recently rebuilt a set of 82 GS750 carbs. Cleaned the in my ultrasonic cleaner and was sure to blow them out with compressed air before reassembly. Once to gether they worked great, all things that were suppose to move moved freely. Three weeks later I picked them up and attempted to opeb the throttle valves and found number three was stuck which affected all four carbs of course. I dissassemblemed the rack and gave the number three carb a good dose of carb cleaner in the throttle valve shaft area, worked it back and forth several times and quickly loosed up. Next I rinsed it a few more times with the carb cleaner and then blew it all out with comprssed air. Bottom line is I figure there was still old fuel residue in the throttle valve shaft area that had solitified and gummed up the works!
            GS550T 1981
            GS850G 1983
            GS650G 1982
            GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Originally posted by wan3417 View Post
              I didn't have this problem until I changed to a V & H 4-1 exhaust system, following reccomended factory settings for the carburretor. I didn't change to any jet kits. BTW I am using a K & N air filter.
              Am getting kind of desperate now as this situation prevails.
              Any suggestions plse.
              I can't figure out how you avoided rejetting with a 4:1 and K&N filter. Is the K&N an insert or Pods?
              You should have at least gone up 1-2 steps on the main.

Factory manual says your main is 112.5, you should probably be at 117.5

Comment

Working...
              X