86 gs550 wet plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 gs550 wet plugs

Ok i must be missing something i replace the plugs it runs and starts fine for a few days then all of the sudden it will start but run rough or not start and i check the plugs and their wet, what ive done
    1cleaned carbs let em soak in berrymans for a week of coarse i disassembled them
    2 cleaned carbs let em soak in pine sol
    3replaced all o rings
    4replaced all jets with stock jets
    5had floats proffesionaly adjusted
    5adjusted valves
    6measured resistances on coils seem to be within tolerences ,have twelve volts at terminals
    7adjusted fuel screw on both carbs w/ colortune fuel screw are all the way in ,i think didn,t want to turn any further for fear of damaging them*
    8replaced rect/regulator and battery
    9put stock exhaust on bike po had after market on it
    10 replaced k&n air filter with stock filter (trying anything )
    can anyone think of anything i missed even any remote possibilities Also looked at jet needles they looked like they were at top adjustment and could'nt be adjusted further
    This bike runs rich no matter what i do ,I it might be on craigslist soon ,and id hate to do that i really have put alot time and money on it
    Thank ON another note i was looking at a carburetor diagram and it shows/lists a pilot air jet that looks like it screws into the front of the carbs
    i cant find any jets that screw into the front ie towards the air box,just holes two for each barrel with no threads , position#45 on most carb diaphrams
    Last edited by Guest; 11-06-2015, 06:47 PM.

You might check your fuel valve for leaking. Which 86 550 do you have? It would help. "Also looked at jet needles they looked like they were at top adjustment and could'nt be adjusted further" You might also move the needles to the center position for the clips and see if that helps your rich condition. I assume the plugs are black.

V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

needles are not adjustable unless someone was in their tweaking.

Idle screws are all the way in????? Mine are 2.5 or three turns out iirc

Comment

I will file that away for future use, still don't know what model he is riding.

V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

the engines for the 550s of that year are identical as are the carbs and fuel system

Comment

Its an 86 gs550 esg ,i bought as a parts bike from a guy who got it from another guy ,so i dont know the history,im gonna pull the carbs again look at the jet needles see whats up and maybe try one size smaller jets,did anyone notice what i said about the pilot/air jets ? i cant seem to find them ,the diagram makes it look like their on the front facing the air box thanks again.

Comment

How sure are you that the jet needle can't be adjusted, i just pulled the carbs and the needle has 6 grooves ,it's possible that their the wrong needles,i knew there was something i was missing

Comment

I have an 83-550ED with the twin/siamese carbs. Only guessing this bike has them too. Whether or not it does have the twin/siamese carbs, it sounds like someone had fiddled with all of the jetting stuff seeing how it had a pipe and a K&N in it. I can say for certain, the needles should not be adjustable. If it was re-jetted for the pipe and filter and you put all of the stock stuff back on except the needles, you should put a stock set in. Check to be sure the jet for the needle, aka emulsion tube, has not been changed as well.

No matter what, this still should not cause your flooding issue. If you can, ride the bike a few times with a separate fuel supply from the actual tank on the bike. Just make sure it has an on/off valve in it somewhere. I spent almost 2 years, (even with the help from everyone here), to find out my fuel valve was bad and acting like a fuel pump. It would pressurize the fuel line to the point where it would force fuel past the float seats. People will tell you to try running it with the fuel valve set to prime and that's the same as using a constant flow "bottle" or supply, but take my experience on this, it's not!! Before you get too much further along try riding it with an alternate fuel supply and see if it isn't better or the same.

Just my experience with the Siamese carbs worth.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by rlg5 View Post
                  How sure are you that the jet needle can't be adjusted, i just pulled the carbs and the needle has 6 grooves ,it's possible that their the wrong needles,i knew there was something i was missing

The needles have a number oin them. Do not recall what it is but maybe you have a dynojet kit in your carbs?

Comment

OK, i bought a set of parts carbs off fleabay not bad $50,they had the correct jet needles so swapped them in,needle jets were the correct ones too,when i pulled the bowls on my good set they were clogged up with a white powdery substance on the right carb so cleaned it good left carb was fine go figure,il put them back on tommorrow, i have a good feeling this time

Comment

Sounds like a fuel level problem. Float needle valve is leaking or float level is set too high. I don't know too much about the 86 bikes but there has to be a spec of fuel level and procedure to measure and adjust it.

Comment

Working...
                      X