Idle mix screw made easier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle mix screw made easier

One of the difficulties of removing the idle mix screws from the Mikuni BS carbs is getting a grip on the thing while holding the screwdriver straight and applying enough force to keep it engaged while applying torque to turn it. Knowing that in advance, and not minding spending an evening with SolidWorks, a set of calipers, a carb body and a 3D printer, I made a jig to hold the carb relatively securely.

This works pretty well. I was able to remove the screws from the first two carbs by leaning on the end of the screwdriver with my chin and working the screw back and forth until it came out. After two, my chin was sore. It peeled like a sunburn a couple days later. A week passed and I had the idea to chuck a screwdriver bit into the drill press and use the mechanical advantage of the quill feed to really get things working. Also, the bit would automatically be held straight. This worked very well on the #3 carb, which had already had the screw slot rounded. Here you can see the screw, and how much torque I was able to put on the bit.

Using the drill press, I was able to remove the screw, even with the bit shown. It was straight before I started. Since body of the chuck is much larger than a screwdriver handle, you can pretty easily put a lot of torque into the bit. But even using a bit I hadn't realized was damaged, I was easily able to apply enough force with the quill to keep the bit engaged in the rounded-out screw slot.

The jig says BS32SS on the side, but a BS34SS fits into it just fine. The same thing could probably be done (probably has been done) with a few blocks of wood.

Something to try before cutting a slot through the tower and screw. A better quality bit that the one I used from the checkout line at ACE hardware would probably stand up to the torque.

I'll add links for CAD files in a minute. Edit: Here.
    Last edited by Dogma; 11-08-2015, 08:42 PM.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

You have a 3D printer in your home? great tutorial by the way.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I used a bench vise.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        The jig says BS32SS on the side, but a BS34SS fits into it just fine.
        Strangely enough, the BS32SS and BS34SS carbs have the same float bowl.

The tops are different, as the 34s have a larger diaphragm, but the bowls are the same.

How long did it take to print that?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Great idea, want to print up a few to sell to forum members?

I have a few other ideas too....

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Strangely enough, the BS32SS and BS34SS carbs have the same float bowl.

The tops are different, as the 34s have a larger diaphragm, but the bowls are the same.

How long did it take to print that?

The typically wrong software estimate said 9 hours. I didn't time it, but I think it was within an hour or so. Both times, actually. I wasn't happy with the first one, even though it works just fine.
            Dogma
            --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Great idea, want to print up a few to sell to forum members?

I have a few other ideas too....
              It'd be something to consider, so long as pro quality isn't expected and I feel like it. I'm not looking to start a business. I can get some mean warping, since I don't have a heated chamber (yet). There are always other issues too, depending on the geometry and material.

I'm curious what some of your other ideas are. Cosmetic parts are out of the question unless you want to do a crap-ton of post-processing.
              Dogma
              --

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Nice idea but a bench vise works better for me. I use a lot of heat and penetrating oil to melt the thread sealer Suzuki used on those first. I think the heat would melt the plastic stand. Once I figured out how to remove them I never had an issue with stripping the slot. That assumes that the PO didn't bugger it up first.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I've always been curious how easy it is to melt a carb body doing that. Any experience there?
                  Dogma
                  --

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Impossible to melt the carb body using just propane.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

So you just toss it on the grill?
                      Dogma
                      --

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Great to see an instant printer used to create a holding jig - most of the engineers here at work want to make toys. Drill press holding the bit straight is ingenious, have to pass this down to my machine shop foreman and his Harley fixer uppers.

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post
                          I used a bench vise.
                          That is the best tool for the job.
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                          X