Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Screw Seized...

Hi guys,

I took the plunge yesterday and decided to pull the carbs for a full strip down and rebuild on my GS650G Katana. Everything was going to plan, then I hit a bit of a road block. One of the phillips screws has seized on the end of the underside bracket that holds the carbs ganged together. I have tried heat, penetrating oil, gentle persuasion, even gently whispering, everything. I decided to stop so i didn't strip out the phillips screw or worse shear it of in the thread well.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

J.

An impact driver will work wonders. So will a pair of vice grips, tightened on the outer diameter of the screw head.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
      An impact driver will work wonders. So will a pair of vice grips, tightened on the outer diameter of the screw head.
      JJ,

I haven't tried the vice grips or the impact driver. I thought if I had used an impact driver it would just strip out the screw head. Very frustrating.

J.

Comment

Like JJ said use an impact driver but don't buy one from Harbor freight as their bits are too soft. Sears sells a decent one for the price. Once you do, socket cap screws are a popular replacement and work great
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It most likely isn't phillips head but JIS. Most screws get damaged fairly quick using a tool that isn't a good fit, hence, as cowboy said, replacing with capscrews is a popular choice.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by therefinery View Post
            ...... One of the phillips screws has seized on the end of the underside bracket that holds the carbs ganged together.
            Although the screws look like the cross-head "Phillips" pattern, they are actually JIS (Japanese standard). Screwdrivers or bits according to the JIS standard have a different profile at the tip and will not "cam out" of the screw head like a normal Phillips screwdriver will.

If they are available in your country, the "Vessel" brand of JIS screwdrivers are excellent. They even have a impact driver that look just like a normal screwdriver. There have been a number of posts here recently on these tools.
            1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Heat and cool with a blow torch. Get a punch (flat head) and give it a couple of sharp knocks - to break the thread lock. Cut a slot in it with a hacksaw or a dremel. Apply lots of magic solution (50% brake fluid and 50% cellulose thinners) and allow plenty of time for it to soak in.

Then this happens:

So cut another slot:

And so on. See the whole thread here:

Carb Screw Problem

I think you have only just started with this one.

Good luck.
              Richard
              sigpic
              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I had that happen on a least of handful of my carb gang screws. And I had the right screwdriver.

I used the thinnest zip cut blade in a angle grinder and just carefully ground a nice slot most of the way thru the middle of the phillips head screw to leave a nice deep slot.
                Then used the largest, tightest fitting screwdriver I had, a firm grip and they just backed right out.

I think the grinding could have created a lot of heat in the screw as well and that may have helped in the whole process.

Bought new screws, flat washers at local Home Hardware bolt bin,...they look fabulous.

Comment

If it's only one screw that's stuck, then de-gang the carbs and simply turn the rail counter clockwise while holding the carb body. The screw will turn with it and be loose enough to remove.
                  http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                  1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Hi all,

thanks for for all the tips. The gang screws were infact JIS. That was my error. I jut took my time and managed to get there using vice grips. I have to say I've always been a bit wary of the idea of using an impact driver on anything that feels seized. I gave it a whirl on the flips side of the carbs, now I have a new friend. Thought I would have stripped out at least one screw. But made it unscathed.

J.

Comment

Working...
                    X