Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do I spray the ether?

1978 gs550
    Hi where do I spray the ether? The air intake box doesn't seem to have any openings. It has always started in the past but hard to start when cold.
    New user here and this looks like a great forum
    thx

Prepare to be scolded for owning a can of ether. Thats a band aide at best for a deeper issue. Check the voltage at your coils. Should be a solid 12vdc or better.

Oh....and welcome to the GSRs.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Spray it in the garbage, use it as a cleaning solvent, kill bugs with it, make pipe bombs, start you old POS GM car, anesthetize your pets, or practice your homemade pyrotechnics, just don't use it to start a motorcycle.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Useless response that in no way helpful to the OP.
        Is there no snorkel under the seat on this tear range of 550s? Ether is a fully acceptable tool to use when testing to see if an engine will fire.

Comment

Sure there's a snorkel, which anyone with a 550 sees every time he opens the seat. Stupid question gets stupid answer.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Adjust your valves and you'll remove some of the starting problems
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

OP, it seems you've stirred the hornet's nest a bit with your first post here. No biggie, let's see if we can get you pointed in the right direction.

Common wisdom around here is that if a bike doesn't start with fresh gas and some choke, then there's a problem. To fix the problem, you have to get caught up on your maintenance. If this bike is new to you, you need to assume it has had zero maintenance (because it probably has) since it was rolled off the showroom floor. This is a short list of just some of the things your bike probably needs:

* clean the carbs
              * adjust the valves
              * clean all electrical connections
              * possibly a new battery
              * check the charging system
              * replace all fluids

And those are just what you need to get it to run right, if there are no other problems. To ride it safely, you also need to look into rebuilding the brake systems, mount some new tires, maybe swap some bearings, and so on. Yeah, there's a lot to do, but luckily you've joined the right forum and we have all the information you need to do all of these things yourself. See the link in my signature for BassCliff's mega-welcome which has links to factory service manuals, tutorial, and loads of other info.

Finally, don't hesitate to ask questions but in the future, you might consider searching the forum to make sure your question hasn't been asked already.

Welcome!
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
              X