Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gs750 vs gs1100 carbs -how different are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs750 vs gs1100 carbs -how different are they?

Hi,

I just bought myself a 1981 gs750e. The guy I bought it off sad the original carbs were "worn out" and that he had bought gs1100 carbs to replace them. He had taken the jets off the original carbs and put them on the 1100 carbs. I have the original carbs also, but they are missing the floatbowls. I'm going to do a carb rebuild. I'm not concerned with originality. Should I just go with the 1100 carbs, or is there any downside to this? I have Kerker 4-1 exhaust on the bike and I'm planning to go with pods ( no flame, please).

-Lars

First of all, the 750 uses BS32 carbs, the 1100 has BS34, so there will be a mis-match of sizes at the boot.

If you can manage to slide the larger carbs into the boots, they will have to be re-jetted for the smaller engine.

Not sure if the spacing on the carbs is different between the two engines.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Pretty sure that 34s will bolt on in place of the 32s. I would give it try and rejet as needed.

Comment

1100e's are routinely fitted with bs36 carbs where the bs34's were stock. There might be some small jetting change required but generally for pods and 4:1 the carb size change doesn't change the jetting to a level that I could speak to.

Comment

There is a small offset on the spacing along with the 2mm difference in the inlet size. They will only fit if the boots are relatively new and very pliable. If you try to use them on hard boots they may split in a short time. Some jetting changes will be required as well. You might also want to consider weather you're using BS34 carbs from a 2 valve 1100 or a 4 valve 1100 as the main air jets are different and will effect your over all jetting. The 4 valve engine carbs will have a 1.2mm main air jet while the 2 valve carbs will have a 1.7mm main air jet. The 1.7mm version will be the same as your BS32 carbs that came with the GS750 and my make it easier to find the correct jetting.
          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
            X