Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about smooth bores versus stock CV carbs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question about smooth bores versus stock CV carbs.

I have an 82 gs1100e with stock CV carbs on it. I just got a set of smooth bores that I am thinking about cleaning up and putting on it instead.... after I also find a nice 4-1 pipe and pods.

I was told by a guy that the smooth bores will give the bike an extra 10 hp, but the person also said that the performance will all be at the top end and not in quickness / torqiness.

Is anyone here running smooth bores on their 16 valve 1100? If so, was the switch worth the trouble?
    82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
    80 gs1000s

You were told correctly. Any gains will be in the high RPM ranges. The smoothbores, with the pipe and pods MIGHT net you 10 HP, if jetted correctly.

Personally, I'd keep the induction and exhaust systems stock with a stock-style K&N air filter, but it's your bike, money, and time. Modify it any way you want.

Comment

It depends on the size of the smoothbores too! A set of 33s will make it a FUN bike & no issues as a driver. The same with the 36 Mikuni RSs.
      Ray.

Comment

33mm round slide smoothbores ? I'm going to compare the difference from my experience.

when the CV's are tuned they run your engine very smooth in a relaxed steady pace environment - , say 3000rpm at 1/8 open -thru 2 and 3 gear they mix the gas economically and really provide the best street use. Let's agree most guys aggressively slap the throttle wide open and complain because of the hesitation - and they do not consider it takes time for the vacuum to pull the gas into the engine - a slower twist produces a faster response - but try to tell a know it all and he goes to a different mechanic trying to fix what is not broken - just stupid - believe me they are here on this site. CV slides really are just smoother than mechanicals in every way.

smoothbores are racing carburetors - true they really do their best from 1/2 to WOT and the sacrifice is transition from idle to lower mid range. I suggest you should have a pull/push 2 cable set up - mine hang up and wont snap back to idle , I have to close them mechanically. yes they are free moving and tuned - I have not taken video but I can watch the slides hang open from vacuum. This could easily put an inexperienced rider into a bad situation with a pull only cable set up. they can be unruly and do their own thing.

your bike will make more power from IDLE to WOT - your bike will consume more gasoline - it will be jerky at steady cruise like on-off on-off you will either be accelerating or de-accelerating. if you ride it like you are on a race track you will love them. they are fun to show off -

I took my 33's off and reinstalled my stg3 bs36 - and my bike went back to being a polite well mannered monster. you should do the same and evaluate my comparison
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I very much appreciate the advise and experience. These are 33mm, and the bike I took them off of did have a push pull system on it.

Even though I do ride like I am racing often, it is usually from light to light or getting on the freeway. Not so much riding over 100 mph.

I may have to think a little longer and harder before I make the switch from the CV's.
          82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
          80 gs1000s

Comment

Why is it called a "push pull throttle" anyway? It's pull to open and pull to closed. Should be pull pull.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I guess I need to do something with my CV's because I find them to be on/off response at low throttle settings. My 33 Smoothbores on the other hand were smoother, just boggy if I, like you said, snapped the throttle open.

I like the CV carbs after the low rpm, say 2500 and up, more than the 33's. However the CV definitely does not produce the same power, very noticeable also, as the 33's. Jet kit is required for my CV's, this winter.
              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head :cool:
              1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017:D

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Working...
              X