Star Racing Exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Racing Exhaust

I have this 4/1 Star Racing Exhaust en route to me. I may use it on my 1100e if I like the way it looks. I am still hoping to find a nice OEM exhaust but need something until I do.

Does anyone know anything about this exhaust?
    Star Racing Exhaust4.jpg

I have one on my 1100, I love it! Much better than the Vance&Hines 4/1. With the four individual down tubes they are able to chrome plate the whole pipe. I love the way it sounds also. Down side might be, it hangs lower, you must remove the center stand, they don't produce them anymore. In my opinion it's a higher quality exhaust system. When you find your stock system, I'd buy Star Pipe of you in a minute.
    My Motorcycles:
    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
      I have one on my 1100, I love it! Much better than the Vance&Hines 4/1. With the four individual down tubes they are able to chrome plate the whole pipe. I love the way it sounds also. Down side might be, it hangs lower, you must remove the center stand, they don't produce them anymore. In my opinion it's a higher quality exhaust system. When you find your stock system, I'd buy Star Pipe of you in a minute.
      Thanks, good to know it is a quality piece. Thought it was decent looking and hadn't seen on before so I figured I would grab it.

Comment

I can remember back in the day (later 70's- 80's) everyone was making performance exhaust systems. RC Engineering, Vance&Hines, Star Racing, Murray, Sid Pouge, Bob Carpenter, I even think Super Bike Mike Kyet sold one, oh and Kircker the list goes on. I have a Bob Carpenter "Vazar" drag exhaust (that's my prized possession) for my drag bike. But I was always a Star Racing fan. So naturally I have a Star Racing street bike exhaust for my street motorcycle...It's long, low and mellow, till about 5 thousand RPM'S then it screams! I made different exhaust flanges for it, I didn't like the stamped steel ones that came with it. Here's a picture
        Attached Files
        My Motorcycles:
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)

Comment

The one i had years ago on a Kat was a complete sidewinder system.
          Loved the sound but wouldn't want it on a everyday ride because of the ground clearance.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Exhaust arrived today and looks great. It even came in original package with directions. One thing that is not clear is how to orientate the collector, it looks like it may matter a bit. The pipes are numbered but the collector is not. According to the directions, the collector may have come from the factory with the ports numbered with tape or something.....Trial and error.

The headers have a slight gold tint near the flange. Nothing too bad but may as well polish them up. Any recommendations for material to do so?

Comment

Autosol on chrome for me.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Yep, trial and error... It's not that hard. Just snug up the down tubes, you kind of need three hands to position them. The collector only goes one way so the megaphone angles back. Keep everything loose then tighten evenly. You'll have to make a bracket for the megaphone, you can come off the passenger footrest for that. I can post a picture of how I did it later... You'll get it.
                My Motorcycles:
                79 1000e (all original)
                82 850g (all original)

Comment

Yep, trial and error... It's not that hard. Just snug up the down tubes, you kind of need three hands to position them. The collector only goes one way so the megaphone angles back. Keep everything loose then tighten evenly. You'll have to make a bracket for the megaphone, you can come off the passenger footrest for that. I can post a picture of how I did it later... You'll get it.
                  You know what may help.....if you could tell me where the horizontal weld is on your collector. My collector only has one horizontal weld, knowing which direction you faced your weld may help me get it right the 1st time! Only if it is convenient for you to check. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post
                    The headers have a slight gold tint near the flange. Nothing too bad but may as well polish them up.
                    Brand new, never been used?
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      Brand new, never been used?
                      No, they were used at some point. I would say they are lightly used. With the exception of the slight discoloration, they look new. Very happy with this purchase. .

Comment

The welded seam on the collector is where #3 down tube goes into. Say bottom left as sitting on the motorcycle. Here is a picture of the collector. I hope this helps, I can send more pictures if needed.
                        Attached Files
                        My Motorcycles:
                        79 1000e (all original)
                        82 850g (all original)

Comment

The welded seam on the collector is where #3 down tube goes into. Say bottom left as sitting on the motorcycle. Here is a picture of the collector. I hope this helps, I can send more pictures if needed.
                          That is perfect...........thanks very much!!

Comment

Working...
                          X