Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air intake pod filters on stock gs650gl 81 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air intake pod filters on stock gs650gl 81 ?

Hi!

I'm a diesel mechanic and never worked on small engines...
    I'm thinking of installing 4 intake pod filters on my gs650gl 1981 and I was wondering if it could cause a lean condition for the carbs. If after putting this I adjust valves and carbs could it still work properly? I'm not planning to install an exhaust for now.

Thanks!

I'm guessing it could cause lean, requiring re-jetting. But don't think I've ever seen pods with stock exhaust.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Actually I wanted to do it more for the look than the hp/sound and hoping that i wont need to install jet or exhaust system, i like the look and sound of the stock exhaust.. If anyone knows or already tried it.

Comment

You WILL need to re-jet. You must like the "look" an awful lot to want to put up with the hassle of re-jetting.

My son got his '82 650L with (cheap) pods and a pipe. I don't know how 'perfectly' the carbs are jetted (and I don't really know what jets are in there), but it seems to work OK. Might be able to improve the jetting a bit with some careful fine-tuning, but that is not for me, I'm leaving it just the way it is.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have an 82 550 I'm working on, and as I look at the room available for pods they better be really short.

Comment

To be totally honest, you're better off keeping the stock air intake, get the bike running properly as Stock first, that way you have a good baseline to establish. If the bike already runs good, why **** with it??? It's not a cafe racer or project build right? Just ride it, enjoy it as-is. These bikes run VERY lean from the factory, so you could be playing with fire. I have a totally stock 650, and I jetted the Mains up 2 sizes, and shimmed the needles...it took out the Lean spots and it really runs nice and fat on the highway now. But yeah, many people jet these bikes or shim the needles in Stock form, haha, that's how lean they run!

By the way, I'm not a purist, or against pods or custom builds. But I've learned that the more you start "messing" with stuff, the more bad **** usually starts happening. If you bought the bike to ride, just ride it. If you want to build a cafe racer, just do it all at Once, not slowly tinkering with things, because then you're bike will end up being Down more than it's on the road! trust me, haha.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-24-2015, 11:25 PM.

Comment

As others have said , get it running perfect with stock intake before getting creative, Should start easily, and once warmed up, will idle smoothly, pull smartly to redline with no flat spots along the way. Mine gets 50+ mpg easily, with minimal fiddling.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X