4-2 MAC Exhaust - Muffler diameter? GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4-2 MAC Exhaust - Muffler diameter? GS1000

I need a 4-2 exhaust for my 1978 GS1000.

I like that MAC offers a set, but the mufflers just aren't my style.

I'd like to know if somebody else has a set of these and can measure the end where the muffler joins up so I can search for a different slip-on.

You will see these with different types of mufflers.
    Attached Files

Yes, I bought a MAC 4 into 2 for my 1000S. The mufflers are hideous so I used the headers and mated different mufflers to them. The ID of the MAC mufflers is quite large at 2" (50mm).
    I went to a car exhaust shop and got 2 reducers made up then chromeplated. It turned out O.K.
    2016 BMW F700GS - everyday ride
    1979 GS1000SN - resto project, recently gone
    1987 Honda GB400TT - latest resto project

Comment

You might want to check these out if you are not absolutely married to 4-2 pipes. It's hard to beat the price and quality: http://www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDet...item=DECOM2765
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

If you have decent EOM head pipes you can mate up a set of Dunstall replica mufflers.

Comment

Lot's of helpful input here! I sure appreciate the community.

sealpup, are you certain of that measurement? I just got a response from the dealer and they said 2.5" 0.0

OldVet, I have to get either 4-2 or 4-4. 4-1 has strictly been banned on this build concept

rudeman, is there such thing as decent Suzuki chrome? In my experience it's always flaky tin foil! Hah, no these pipes are no good and besides I already promised the seller I'd give them back to him!

Comment

I measured them several times to be sure - the ID of the muffler INLET is 2". The body of the muffler is something close to 3" (a bit hard to tell without a vernier caliper).

I just read above - it was Emgo Dunstall replica mufflers that I put on my 1000. They are a good length, finishing near the rear of the back tyre, as the originals did on the early 1000's.
            Last edited by sealpup; 11-25-2015, 09:04 AM.
            2016 BMW F700GS - everyday ride
            1979 GS1000SN - resto project, recently gone
            1987 Honda GB400TT - latest resto project

Comment

Good to know! I think I found the same set you're talking about! Great! Thanks again all

Comment

Working...
              X