No announcement yet.

1983 gas leaking between carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tapped in the bowels but still a no go. What is that small hole for anyways? Is their anyone who can shine some lite on that bottom right hole?

Comment

Did you open that carb??? Was it good before got into the fuel tube problem? Were you turning the carbs all sorts of positions?? I say the float is jammed up against the needle and it wont let loose. If you look at the floats youll see a tiny tab bent at a 90* angle that rests against one of the float hinge posts.

That tab is to prevent the float from dropping too low when the bowls are empty. If the float drops too low, the needle jams into the float and thats the end. I would open the bowls ( all of them ) and check for proper float and needle movement by lifting and dropping the floats. Adjust the tab so that the needles move smoothly up and you down and dont feel any sort of slight "pinching" as you work the floats.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I will take a look at it after thanksgiving but that problem didn't exist until after I took them of his time and un ganged them

Comment

I totally understand...but it happens which is why i advise that you check each carb and be well sure the float stops stop the needles from getting jammed. The needles dont need to drop more than like an 1/8 inch to allow sufficient fuel flow anyway. Thats a common misconception..it didnt do that before. But now it is so the cause needs to be investigated.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

So I fixed the leaking carbs . Not sure exactly what was. I think it was just the floats not acting acting right.now I think my carbs are all tuned wrong because I turned of my ignition and it kept running lol. Then I pulled the positive on the battery and it still kept running. It finally stopes after I pulled it spark plugs. It never did that until this last time I took the carbs off. Any ideas?

Comment

Where is the red wire from the r/r connected ?
              Sounds like it's connected to an orange wire on the wrong side of the ignition switch.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Nothing with the carbs will keep the engine running once the ignition is turned off. You have an electrical problem now.
                http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Yea the previous owner installed a push button start ontop of the ignition. I'm pretty sure that's the problem

Comment

UUuuhhhuuuuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhhhhh!!!!
                    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                    X