Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[GS 650 bottom end on gs 550 base] need I absolutely machining the base to fit jugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GS 650 bottom end on gs 550 base] need I absolutely machining the base to fit jugs?

Hi all

The whole question is in my subject...

I want to put gs 650 bottom end (jugs....) with the head and pistons on my 550 6 speeds base. I'm preparing all the parts, but I planned to not disassemble all the motor.... Is it plug and play between the 650 bottom end and the 550 base or do I have to disassemble the base to enlarge anything to be able to put the 650 bottom end?

thanks!

It appears the only difference between the two blocks is the 6mm of larger bore on the 650. (62mm vs 58mm)

So it sounds like its doable so long as the stud pattern and location of the oil channels line up. Are the valve sizes the same? Will you get enough flow through the 550 head?

I recall people discussing the option of putting a 550 head on 650 cylinders as a way of increasing compression but maybe someone else can add info.

Comment

650 barrels won't fit directly onto 550 crankcases. You'll need to grind away a relatively small amount of metal. Theoretically, you could do this without splitting the crankcases, but you would run the risk of putting swarf and grindings into areas where you could not remove them ie the crankshaft.
      1980 GS550ET

Comment

I see to recall reading that people put a 650 head on a 550 bottom end?
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Thanks. Do not find any picture of the cranckase before and after grinding to locate areas..?

Comment

It took a LOT of grinding on my 550, millions of particles flying every which way. NO chance I'd attempt it without splitting the cases. The good news, splitting the cases is easy.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
            X