Symptoms of small hole in carb diaphragm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symptoms of small hole in carb diaphragm

On a 4 cylinder GS, if one diaphragm had a small hole in it, how would you ever know? If you want to guess, that's OK but if you know the answer, that would be much better. (By the way, I don't have that problem but have seen damaged diaphragms discussed here lots of times without any mention of symptoms.) Thanks for your thoughts!
    1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

I have not experienced the symptoms myself, but reduced performance would be one symptom.

The function of the diaphragm is to lift the slide. The slide is basically a variable venturi. If it is not lifted by the diaphragm, it becomes a restriction, not allowing full air flow for proper running. That will definintely reduce overall performance.

If your holes are still on the small side, the slide might be lifted, but a bit slower, and maybe not lifted quite as far, due to the leak. Still results in reduced performance.

Many "fixes" have been proposed, but most of them fail due to the gasoline vapors and/or flexing. The best solution is replacement. OEM replacements are prohibitively expensive, one reasonable alternative is JBM Industries.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes, I'm sure performance would suffer or else nobody would ever know they had a problem. My own guess is that it would be most noticed at idle and diminish as RPMs are increased.....but I'm hoping someone who's experienced it will tell us about the particulars. As far as replacement, they're on Ebay all the time but the prices are usually ridiculous. I've got extras so I'm sure I'll never be shopping for one.

Comment

I used them last year for the carbs on my kz. those diaphragms work great. clipping the plastic rings can be a pain though.

Comment

I have some spare diaphragms with slides available for a BS34SS. Let me know if you're interested.
          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

It's a good question because telling a complainant to adjust their idle mix or synch the carbs etc. would go no where except backwards. A good "cleaning" might find it but only if the complainant is specifically directed to check the operation after reassembly-by plugging the port and seeing if the slide stays up..something that is not in the manual to my recollection.
            Perhaps it's easy to generate symptoms without removing the airbox...loosen the top of one carb . Or if the trouble is taken to block the vaccuum port. A symptom of not raising the needle would make one lazy cylinder, and very difficult or impossible to synch... but the size of the hole or tear might be important. a tiny tear might self-seal to some extent on changing vacuums and only exhibit symptoms on a steady throttle as the slide drops....

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
              ... Or if the trouble is taken to block the vaccuum port. ...
              What vacuum port needs to be blocked?

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by rockford View Post
                My own guess is that it would be most noticed at idle and diminish as RPMs are increased.....but I'm hoping someone who's experienced it will tell us about the particulars.
                You wont notice anything at idle. If you take your airbox off and start the bike / let it idle you will not see the slides move at all. It is only when the bike is revved that the slide starts to move.

Usual symptoms of holes in the diaphragms are a sluggish throttle response. But, if there's just one tiny hole in one diaphragm out of the four then you may not notice it at all.
                Current:
                Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
                VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                  You wont notice anything at idle. If you take your airbox off and start the bike / let it idle you will not see the slides move at all. It is only when the bike is revved that the slide starts to move.

Usual symptoms of holes in the diaphragms are a sluggish throttle response. But, if there's just one tiny hole in one diaphragm out of the four then you may not notice it at all.
                  Based on a bunch of research, I think you've got it just right. In addition, you would get very poor gas mileage.

Comment

Working...
                  X