Help with Exhaust System identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Exhaust System identification

I purchased an exhaust system that supposedly came off an '83 GS1100ES. When I attempted to install these on my '83 1100E, the muffler hanger brackets are approximately 2" further back from the rear set bolt hole location.

Looking at the parts fiche, it does show different part numbers for the two bikes, ES vs E. However, a couple members have stated that the two pipes should be interchangeable.

I have also been told that these pipes may be Katana pipes. So, I can use a little help in figuring out which bike these belong toso I can get them in the hands of someone who can use them.

A couple worthy notes and them some pictures:

1) Flat black exhaust collars
    2) Measurement from rear of muffler to center of mounting hole is 11.5 inches
    3) Muffler exhaust outlet hole is 39.5 mm

Thanks for your help!

82-83 gs1100 16v - My best guess.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
      82-83 gs1100 16v - My best guess.
      Does not line up properly on my 1983 GS1100E 16V.

Comment

I don't know exactly what that exhaust is off but for 1983 E/ES the exhaust, according to the online parts listings, shows the same part numbers for all exhaust parts whether it an E or an ES.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

GS1100X,as marked on the exhaust is 1981
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

When i google the numbers on the pipe I get 1982 GS1100E. How far off is the muffler mount??

Comment

Pipes on my 2 1983 GS 1100E's measure about 15 inches from end of muffler to center of muffler mounting bolt, as opposed to the 11.5 that Vmass states.

Note too.... there are no 'lugs' on the pipes shown to mount the heat shields..... The Katana, for instance, does not use the heat shields.

If you look at a 82 or 83 1000 Katana (1100 in Canada and Europe).... note the distance from the muffler mounting bolt to bottom shock mount (closer) compared to the 80 -83 GS 1100E. Easy to see the difference.
              Last edited by Guest; 12-03-2015, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GRAND ROUGE View Post
                Pipes on my 2 1983 GS 1100E's measure about 15 inches from end of muffler to center of muffler mounting bolt, as opposed to the 11.5 that Vmass states.

Note too.... there are no 'lugs' on the pipes shown to mount the heat shields..... The Katana, for instance, does not use the heat shields.

If you look at a 82 or 83 1000 Katana (1100 in Canada and Europe).... note the distance from the muffler mounting bolt to bottom shock mount (closer) compared to the 80 -83 GS 1100E. Easy to see the difference.
                I think you got it. I checked the manuals to see what the offsets are in the rear pegs . It only has the EZ but I suspect the EZ and ED are not too much different. Picture shows how much further the Kat pegs and probably exhaust mount is.

EDIT Also the KAT is 1cm longer wheel base.

Last edited by posplayr; 12-03-2015, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                  I don't know exactly what that exhaust is off but for 1983 E/ES the exhaust, according to the online parts listings, shows the same part numbers for all exhaust parts whether it an E or an ES.
                  Hmm.... I had checked and thought I saw a different muffler numbers for the two. I did just look at Parts Fish and they do show the same part number.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
                    When i google the numbers on the pipe I get 1982 GS1100E. How far off is the muffler mount??
                    Yup, I got the same results, '82 were chrome though, correct? If so, those numbers won't help us. I am going to hold it up to the bike again and get a precise measurement on the distance to the mounting hole, IIRC it was 2.5 ".

Comment

A knowledgeable member has pegged these as 83 Kat pipes........looks like that is likely. How about the exhaust outlet hole? Any measurements on that?

These pipes are 39.5mm

Comment

GS1100EX had chrome pipes.

Comment

I am waiting to hear back from the seller to see if he can shed any light on this situation. I think Posplayr's diagram looks correct. I also looked at some Kat pictures and I too think these are looking like 83 1100SD Kat pipes.

I am still hoping we can find a definitive answer so no one else is disappointed. I will seek out the Kat forum that was suggested when I get few minutes.

Thanks for all the help and hopefully these will make a Kat owner happy!

Comment

Most likely Kat pipes. I had a couple sets of those pipes that I flipped a while back and the main difference as far as I could tell is the rear hanger position. I posted a thread to help identify the pipes and a couple knowledgeable folks detailed all he differences so you may want to look back for the info. I just looked for my old photos but I think they are lost.
                            Last edited by Nessism; 12-04-2015, 11:51 AM.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              Most like Kat pipes. I had a couple sets of those pipes that I flipped a while back and the main difference as far as I could tell is the rear hanger position. I posted a thread to help identify the pipes and a couple knowledgeable folks detailed all he differences so you may want to look back for the info. I just looked for my old photos but I think they are lost.
                              Found it: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ight=kat+pipes

I have to hit the road, will check it out later. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X