Fuel nipple joint leaking - solutions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel nipple joint leaking - solutions?

I just rebuilt my carbs w/ the carb rebuild o-ring kit from a member of this forum (sorry - don't remember screen name!). Bike is a 1978 GS750. I'm having an issue w/ the center 3 prong fuel nipple leaking. Part number is #42 - 13685-45020. I've also attached the schematic. I'm a bit confused. The schematic shows replaceable o-rings on the adjacent fuel nipple joints (part #41) but not on the center 3-prong part. That said, on all 3 parts I have they have a one-piece rubber sleeve w/ ridges that serve as the seals. There's no way to replace o-rings. The member purchased o-ring kit also includes o-rings intended to service these pieces which has me confused. There's no way to put o-rings on the parts I have nor are there dimples for them to slide into. I thought I'd just replace the center fuel joint and call it good, but I can't find an OEM one in stock. A few questions:

Any after-market replacement part available?
    Anyone have the 3 prong fuel nipple they'd like to sell?
    Any ideas on how to make the one I have work?

I've already pretty much ruined the right side sleeve seal on the one I have. I thought that perhaps under the solid rubber sleeve there might be some dimples to slide o-rings over. Nope.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

SnipImage.JPG
    Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2015, 06:31 PM.

PArt fiches are a little confusing here... This one says you need 12 o-rings total for those three fittings( 4 for each fitting

the tee seems unavailable- you might have to get creative!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

These dry out during the time you take to clean and rebuild your carbs, all that's needed usually (and worked every time for me) is to soak them in gas for a while until they return to their normal operating dimensions before reassembly. Gas poured out of those joints until the rubber had swollen again first time I rebuilt the carbs on an 850 I had.

If the rubber sleeve is damaged I suspect there's no alternative but to find a good replacement, post up in the parts wanted section, bet a member has a spare they could give up...
      It's smoke that make electronic components work.
      Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
      '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
      '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
      '82 GS1000SZ
      '82 GS1100GL
      '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

What bike, year and size?

Comment

Sorry - obviously should have included that. 1978 Suzuki GS750.

Originally posted by loud et View Post
          What bike, year and size?

Comment

Well dangit - now I feel the fool for tearing up that T fitting. Shoot. Guess I'll look for a replacement. I did find this aftermarket one on eBay that looks nice but I'm not certain it'll fit:

I'm assuming I have the VM26 carbs - need to double check. Anyone know if this fitting is the same for VM26 and VM29?

Originally posted by Wallowgreen View Post
            These dry out during the time you take to clean and rebuild your carbs, all that's needed usually (and worked every time for me) is to soak them in gas for a while until they return to their normal operating dimensions before reassembly. Gas poured out of those joints until the rubber had swollen again first time I rebuilt the carbs on an 850 I had.

If the rubber sleeve is damaged I suspect there's no alternative but to find a good replacement, post up in the parts wanted section, bet a member has a spare they could give up...

Comment

I always replace the rubber coated fuel tubes with the metal and oring style. Since Z1 is down with the computer issues ( where I would normally suggest you go to 0 there is this alternative. I have purchased from them before and can vouch for the parts. Yeah the shipping a bit of a hit but it is what it is seeing Z1s off line for a while.

26s and 29s are the same fuel tubes. And yes they are VM26 carbs.

Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-18-2015, 06:41 PM.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It will probably stop leaking once the gasoline swells up the rubber part of the seal.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Watch the o-rings on the aftermarket fuel tubes, I know the ones I got from Z1 had o-rings on them that were too big and caused the T's to leak badly. Replace them with the ones in Barr o-ring kit (http://www.cycleorings.com/VMkit.html), be sure to lube them before installation.
                  Regards,
                  Jason

Comment

Little grease and they slide in easier..little tight but they do go in. Cleaning the holes in the carbs helps too.
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallowgreen View Post

If my carbs are apart I always coat them with something rubber friendly like a bit of fork oil and stuff them in a zip lock bag. I'm still on the originals and they haven't leaked since the bike came out of storage around 2003.
                      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

There was a small number of those T's from Z1 where the inlet press was defective.They cleared it up immediately and If memory serves, the O-rings provided were fine. It is a good source when they get up and running again. The old T I had would never stop leaking after my rebuild. I had gotten a full set of connectors and T and never had a problem with the connectors, just got unlucky and got one of the defective T's.
                        Last edited by OldVet66; 12-19-2015, 05:22 PM.
                        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Let me come to the rescue here. I had the same problem and was directed by someone here on this site to wrap the tee with gas type teflon tape. It solved my leaking gas tee.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

But he has already tore the rubber coating and need new ones. Thus my suggestion to get the metal ones.

Comment

Working...
                            X