Stuck needle jet/throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck needle jet/throttle

I'm in the process of cleaning the carbs on my 81 GS650 G, and the first one I am atempting to clean is carb number one. I have two main problems right now. The needle jet is stuck, and the throttle won't twist.

For the needle jet I tried putting some force on the main jet like is suggested in the FAQ on Bikecliff's site. However, it won't budge. I don't want to damage the main jet or needle jet. I may just need to get the carb body to a point that I can dip it in carb cleaner? Does anyone have any tips for this?

Also, the throttle won't twist on this carb. It seems all the other carb throttles twist except for this one. I haven't found any info about how to disassemble this part of the carb, and maybe it will free up after a dip in carb cleaner? Any tips would be great for this too. Should I avoid dipping the carb body granted I remove all plastic components?

Thanks!

Soak it for about 24hrs and see if that doesn't free anything up. Sounds like the throttle is all gummed up

Comment

I had all 4 of my slides sticking and used a heat gun on the outside of the carb body and directly on the slide. After just a few seconds the heat melted the varnish and I was able to free them with thumb pressure. Careful they are hot now.

As for dipping the carbs should be completely disassembled before dipping. At the very least pull the CV cap off the top and get the slide out with the diaphragm. Then pull the bowl off and remove main, pilot, float, float valve, float valve seat, mixture screw (careful is a spring and o-ring in there) and enrichener. The dip everything except the slide and diaphragm.

Check this PDF out for the details. It's a really good one and easy to read.

http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...d_Tutorial.pdf

Comment

Good tips here. Chances are it's just varnish gumming up the butterfly. As mentioned, don't dip any rubber or plastic parts that you don't intend to replace. I bet you'll be fine after a good soaking.

Using heat as John suggest will help a lot too. They can take a fair amout of heat, just make sure to carefully remove the float if your going to hit it with a heat gun or torch. The pin that holds the float in can be a bugger but if you do as the tutorial suggests and use a small socket to support the aluminum post, you'll be fine.

PS I need to reply to your PM - let me know if you need any help, I'm not too far from you.
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll give those tips a try most likely after the holidays.

Mike, sounds good. I'll let you know. I may need some extra help on these carbs.

Comment

Working...
          X