carb id numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb id numbers

helloo guys , i just bought some carbs for my gs750g from ebay, the seller said they was from a 750l; when they arived i looked over them and noticed the emolsion tubes had bits cut out when looking through the bore .Then curiosity got the better of me i stripped them and all the jetting is for a 550 and i noticed an id number on the side which matches to a 550 with a 22mm bore so i cant even jet them out because the 750 bore is 32mm . I bought the bike in bits and the carbs are also 550 but i rejetted them still runs bit crappy but i didnt see any numbers on them is there any where the numbers will be i,e in float bowl just incsae i have another set with the 22m bore . thats the ID numbers . its a 1980 bs32ss cv carb

I was under the impression that a BS32 carb body was interchangeable between 550/650/750/850? Not completely sure about spacing, and someone mentioned on here that the float bowls may vary with regard to the enrichener pick-up tube. As you say, the jetting will differ between the models. I'm not quite sure what you mean by 22mm bore and cut-out emulsion tubes, or the ID number - can you post some photos?
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

here is the number i found on the carb might not be able to see it but very faint it says 47160 on the list of carb specs and settings it points it out as 22 mm will see if i can post list
      Attached Files

Comment

here is the list GS_carb_specs_v1.3.jpg

Comment

sorry couldnt get it any bigger but i think its on bike cliffs site

Comment

Ok, I see the '22' you refer to. It's a typo error, should read 32.

Still leaves you with the fact that it/they would need to be completely re-jetted, and new float bowls. I've never priced a complete set of jets/needles etc for 4 carbs, but I would guess it would be cheaper to find another used 750 set. Maybe you could refurbish the 550 set and sell them on?
            1980 GS550ET

Comment

the gs550 carbs in england go for very little money so selling them isnt really an option, as i paid gs750 carb prices which is 3 to 4 times as much as the 550 carbs. im trying to get my money back for the carbs as i already have the 550 carbs which came with the bike ,i didnt know you had to change the float bowls as well .my bike still has the 550 float bowls and emolsion tubes as well should i have changed these as well what about the floats

Comment

The reason I mentioned float bowls is because (apparently) there are minor variations in the enrichener (choke) pick-up diameter. Could be something like 0.1mm between the 550 and 750. If your choke has been working ok, you could probably forget about that bit.

Floats should be the same for either 550 or 750. You'll probably want to change the emulsion tubes. The 550 used an X-6 tube, whereas I believe you'll want something like a Y-4 or Y-5 for your 750. That should help mid-range to higher revs.
                1980 GS550ET

Comment

ive looked all over the net but im not able to find anyone that sells the ones i need .any ideas please

Comment

NRP in the UK stock them. Niche Cycle Supply in the States have them cheaper.
                    1980 GS550ET

Comment

ive sent them emails didnt see the cv carbs or jets on the site will see what they say cheers for all the help

Comment

gave up no1 emailed me back about emolsion tubes. seemed to be getting a lot of that now from companies not emailing back .so spent £250 for some gs750 carbs which i hope are 750 and not 550 and someone saying they are 750 like last lot i bought .trying to keep old bike on the road seems a lot more hard work than i thought .

Comment

Working...
                        X