Engine not sacking gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine not sacking gas

So I have an 81 Gs 1000 and it runs when I put gas directly into the carbs but when I hook up the gas tank it doesn't want to suck in the gas. Any ideas?

Is the vacuum operated petcock working properly allowing the fuel to flow to the carbs?
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Looking at your other two posts, it appears that you are not all that fluent in mechanical things, maybe just the GS aspect of that. Post your location, there might be a member close enough to stop by and give a hand.

I also am curious about the term "sacking", as you use it in both of the threads you have posted in. The term "sucking" could have been used in both cases, but the 'u' is not close enough to the 'a' on the keyboard to call it 'a fat-fingered typo'.

I agree with the possibility of the petcock not working correctly or possibly not even being connected.
      I ride many bikes.
      Some are even Suzukis. :D

Comment

First of all I'm using my phone on this website so autocorrect Is making me his b**** lol. Also I'm not a huge motorcycle mechanic I am definitely more of an automotive type of guy but I bought this bike to try to broaden my horizon on engines. And I'm in surprise Arizona. And how would I check to see if the vacuum is working?

Comment

Put the petcock in the "on" position. Disconnect the two hoses from the petcock to the carbs. Gas should not flow from either port. The small one is the vacuum line, and the large one is the fuel supply to the carbs. Put a small piece of hose on the vacuum port of the petcock. Hold a cup under the fuel port and suck on the vacuum line. Gas should flow from the fuel port. Gas should also flow in the "PRI" (prime) position. but that should only be used when first starting the bike.
          1979 GS550, 2003 R6, 1998 XR400 Dual Sport, 2004 V-Star.........

Decisions, decisions, what to ride, today.
          sigpic
          My GS550 Build

Comment

He's probably got the infamous leverless petcock -does that have a Prime position?

Lesson 2 - the engine doesn't suck the fuel, it's gravity feed
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              He's probably got the infamous leverless petcock ...
              I have only seen them on '80 models, not the '81 he is working on.
              If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbeard View Post
                First of all I'm using my phone on this website so autocorrect Is making me his b**** lol.
                My condolences on not have a REAL computer available, and having to settle for a pocket-sized version.

Regardless, "autocorrect" is actually "autoSUGGEST", as you don't have to accept what is suggested.

YOU are the one that determines what is there, BEFORE you hit the "submit" button.
                If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Set petcock to prime (PRI)

Then figure out the vacuum problem....

The petcock will release gas (hopefully) in the on position when a vacuum is applied to the petcock..... it draws the vacuum from the carburetors (not exactly sure where the connection is on your bike, on my gs450 the connection is on the rightmost carb)

Comment

Originally posted by Redbeard View Post
                    First of all I'm using my phone on this website so autocorrect Is making me his b**** lol. Also I'm not a huge motorcycle mechanic I am definitely more of an automotive type of guy but I bought this bike to try to broaden my horizon on engines. And I'm in surprise Arizona. And how would I check to see if the vacuum is working?
                    Don't be a bitch to your phone. That's exactly what it wants. Show it who's boss!

If you suspect petcock, they are pretty inexpensive on Ebay. I had to buy one for mine.
                    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                    Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

I have a 1980 and it has the leverless petcock and it is my understanding that it does have a prime but you have to select it with a screwdriver.

Comment

It does, though it might as well not. There is a little nylon screwdriver slot. Horizontal is vacuum, perpendicular is prime. There is no stop so you still have to double check the horizontal position and tweak it a bit to make sure fuel is not flowing from the prime position.
                        Last edited by OldVet66; 01-07-2016, 06:14 PM.
                        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                        X