Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Work 1978 Suzuki GS750 in Canada

Gents:

I'll use this first note to introduce the GS750, so you know what I'm working on, then I'll get to the carbs in the following note.

She was made in March 1978, Engine GS750-65202, and frame GS750-42578. I assume that frame and engine serials are not an exact match in old Suzuys.

The bike seems very stock with a low odometer of 19000 km, and that seems right judging by foot peg rubber and hand grip wear, etc.

It came to me running, but just barely able to rev or make power.

Front and rear hydraulic brakes were gummed, corroded, maladjusted, and ugly in every regard. But I've remedied most of that.

In the next post, I'll get to the carbs.
    Attached Files

The GS Suzy came to me with those carb pods, but they are brand new, and I don't think the engine has run much at all with them in place. A PO was just dressing it up. I do have the airbox, but not the filter frame or the filter.

So the carbs were a cinch to get off and into the heated basement workshop. When I drained the bowls the gasoline was clear but lots of black flakes like two shakes of a pepper shaker.

And the carbs are coming apart well. They are not grossly filthy but they are far too dirty for any reliable service.

Here are the specifications of the internal bits.

Main jets 102.5
    Idle jets 15
    Needles 5DL36
    Clip position 2
    Slide 1.5
    Air screw turns 2 7/8ths, 3, 3, 2 3/4ths for carbs 1 to 4 respectively
    Fuel screw turns 5/8ths, 1 1/4ths, 7 1/2, 9 1/4th for carbs 1 to 4 respectively

So those fuel screw turns are not typos. Carbs 3 and 4 had their fuel screws almost falling out. So I suppose that part of the poor engine running was a grossly rich cylinders 3 and 4. Too rich for the mixture to fire I think.

The reason that the fuel screws for 3 and 4 were falling out was that a PO left out the the little friction loading springs. And in the attached image you can see that the fuel screw springs are quite different than the air screw springs. The fiche I've been using, Babbits, doesn't even show these fuel screws or their springs.

Does anyone have a source for these Mikuni fuel screw springs? I don't have a Suzy dealer nearby, and can't even search the internet based on a part number. I can find the air screw springs, but they're not the same.

At least no PO has broken off the fuel screw tips!!

Thanks All..............
    Attached Files

Comment

Get your new o-rings here.
      You might try Jetsrus for the missing springs.

BassCliff's site is still not fixed so the VM rebuild guide is not available. PM me your email address and I'll email it to you, it's about 0.5 mg
      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Bikecliffs website works if you go to the backed up files posted some time ago in the original thread.

Anyway, heres the VM carb rebuild tutorial.

MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Put the airbox back in, use 1/4 inch storm door foam sealing tape to seal the covers to the body, and get a K&N filter. The filter is a complete unit..slide it in and put in the retainer screw and done.

Set the bottom screws ( PILOT SCREWS ) at 7/8 from gently seated and forget about them. Set the side screws ( MIXTURE SCREWS ) at 1 1/2 out. Touch the big idle knob end just to the throttle linkage and then go in 1 1/2 to 2 turns. This will get the carbs real close to ready.

You may have to adjust the idle once its warmed up and the RPMS start to climb..thats normal. You adjust the cylinder mixture using the side MIXTURE screws once the gauge carb sync has been done. Be sure the orings in the carb holders ( INTAKE MANIFOLDS ) are new to ensure no vacuum leaks. Replace the phillips heads screws with allen head screws as they tend to strip easily. Allen heads will last almost forever if you use the right size allen wrench.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

where in canada are you

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
              Get your new o-rings here.You might try Jetsrus for the missing springs.BassCliff's site is still not fixed so the VM rebuild guide is not available. PM me your email address and I'll email it to you, it's about 0.5 mg
              Thanks allojohn. I've got lots of little viton O-rings in stock, and jetRus looks very complete. I'll need to send them a note.I did a little more reading and one thread described using a ball point pen spring, but I'd like the real part.
              Last edited by Guest; 01-07-2016, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                Bikecliffs website works if you go to the backed up files posted some time ago in the original thread.

Anyway, heres the VM carb rebuild tutorial.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...rb_rebuild.pdf
                Thanks Chuck. I did get the VM notes and they are very helpful and excellent.

Comment

Put the airbox back in, use 1/4 inch storm door foam sealing tape to seal the covers to the body, and get a K&N filter. The filter is a complete unit..slide it in and put in the retainer screw and done.

Set the bottom screws ( PILOT SCREWS ) at 7/8 from gently seated and forget about them. Set the side screws ( MIXTURE SCREWS ) at 1 1/2 out. Touch the big idle knob end just to the throttle linkage and then go in 1 1/2 to 2 turns. This will get the carbs real close to ready.

You may have to adjust the idle once its warmed up and the RPMS start to climb..thats normal. You adjust the cylinder mixture using the side MIXTURE screws once the gauge carb sync has been done. Be sure the orings in the carb holders ( INTAKE MANIFOLDS ) are new to ensure no vacuum leaks. Replace the phillips heads screws with allen head screws as they tend to strip easily. Allen heads will last almost forever if you use the right size allen wrench.

Many thanks Chuck. I'll follow your instructions faithfully.

Is it correct that these fuel screws are just the same function as a low speed fuel jet. But rather than a fixed jet, these fuel screws allow variation?

But why do they have fuel trim when the other air screw has air trim, all to the same effect? Seems unnecessary complication, but might offer wide tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyderman View Post
                    where in canada are you
                    Hi Spyderman. I bounce around three different spots in Toronto, London, and Sarnia, all Ontario.

Comment

Idle and assisting on transitioning on and off the main jets. And there are two screw because the fuel and air arent premixed in the bowls like CV carbs do. I have taken down VM carbs before that I was pretty sure had never been taken apart before and the pilots screws on the bottom have usually been between 3/4 and 7/8..but they tended to set them lean due to the EPA regs of the day. This is why i always just got 7/8 out and leave them alone. This gives me the confidence they arent ever lean.

Since you have VM carbs, a Colortune will work great to set each carbs fuel to air ratio. Put it in the cylinder and adjust the side mixture screws and you can actually SEE the fuel to air ratios change and you will get each carb perfect. If you havent seen a Colortune go to youtube and look at some video.

Im sure others with VM carbs that have used a colortune will confirm they work great. Oh, and by the earlier comment about the 1/4 inch storm door seal..i meant 1/4 inch wide. It only needs to be about 1/8 inch thick..just so as it seals between the cover and rim of the airbox. The cost of the K&N is negligable because its gonna last the life of the bike and its the last air filter you should ever need. Little tech tip on the foam. Once its on and the cover fits smear a little film of grease on the foam. Helps to keeps it from sticking to the airbox when you have to remove the cover.

Comment

In your picture you have broken tips on the Pilot fuel screws. They can be replaced, Z1 Enterprises has them, their site should be up by next week for orders. The tips will also have to be removed if they are still stuck in the carburetor throats. That may change the initial settings Chuck suggested or at least make the adjustments a little more difficult depending on how damaged the needle tip seats are. You can get complete O-ring kits including the boot O-rings at (www.cycleorings.com) and the gaskets at Z1 for a very reasonable price. It is doubtful that you will need anything else for the rebuild except Pilot fuel screws.
                        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

You cant put new screws in with the broke tips still down the bore.......they either come out or the body gets replaced. No other way around that one. if the tips are plugging the fuel port there cant be any fuel delivery. He MAY need new float needles if they are showing signs of wear or any grooves in the beveled edges.

Comment

He MAY need new float needles if they are showing signs of wear or any grooves in the beveled edges.
                            Float needles and seats if necessary should be Suzuki Factory parts and should be available. I believe Chuck has a neat little clean up trick for the seats. I've been lucky with the needles, but they can get worn out.
                            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

If you don't want to wait for Z1 for the hard parts, SUDCO has everything you need.

Comment

Working...
                              X