Fuel level/running lean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel level/running lean

Hi all, My first question is if my bike is running but seems to be cutting out a little and I apply a bit of choke and it starts to run better, does that mean I'm running lean? My second question is if my fuel level is set to low would this cause this problem? Thanks Andy

1) Yes...

2) Yes maybe but could be several other things as well.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      1) Yes...

2) Yes maybe but could be several other things as well.
      Thanks. going to raise fuel level tomorrow. I have the brass fittings to set my fuel level but for some reason this is giving me problems. sometimes they read high, sometimes they read low. while the bike is running I'll purge the line to make sure there is no air bubbles. I idle the bike at 1800/2000 rpms when I do this. Am I missing something? I have 4 nipples so I can check them all at once. BS32ss carbs. Thanks, Andy

Comment

air bubbles in a gasoline engine fuel supply aren't really an issue. air bubbles in the clear hose when checking float levels of the carbs will cause problems verifying the level. if you are running lean, have you checked the condition of the vacuum caps on the carb nipples or have the caps installed on the nipples? also, are you sure that your pilot passages and pilot jet are absolutely clean? idle-1/4 throttle, the carbs are running off the pilot portion of the carbs. also, are you attempting to check float levels while it's running? if so, you will get wonky readings cause the engine is drawing fuel from the bowls to feed the engine, so as the petcock/bench bottle fill the bowls, the floats will open and close the valve needle as fuel comes in and goes out. you need to check float levels when the engine isn't running.
        Last edited by Guest; 01-11-2016, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
          ....... you need to check float levels when the engine isn't running.
          Factory service manual says to check float level with bike on centre stand and engine running at idle speed. I have done this before, and did not experience fluctuating fuel level in the tube. If there are any air bubbles in the tube, just flick the tube with your finger and the air bubbles will float up.

I only have one tube, so had to do only one carb at a time. It only takes a few seconds to read the level. Stop engine, disconnect tube and move on to next carb.
          1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

I must have missed that part. I check my floats static on my bench

Comment

Working...
            X