Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BS32 / 34 carbs --> rubber cap above the needle fuel jet --> compulsory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BS32 / 34 carbs --> rubber cap above the needle fuel jet --> compulsory?

Hi everyone!
    I'm making my BS32 carbs brand new. They are rubber caps above the needle fuel jet, just near the main jet... Are they compulsory? how to make them be "sticked" to the tube? they can't....

YES, they are mandatory. If you are "making your carbs brand new", you will want to replace the caps (plugs, actually). New plugs will fit snuggly, but if you look in the float bowl, you will see a post on one side that will press into the plug to keep it in place, so a tight fit is not necessary.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

If you buy new ones make sure that they are OEM if you have ethanol in your petrol, otherwise they turn to jelly.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

There is a ridge in the float bowl that holds them in.
        You bike will run like $hit if you leave them out.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Vulgar man!
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
            YES, they are mandatory. If you are "making your carbs brand new", you will want to replace the caps (plugs, actually). New plugs will fit snuggly, but if you look in the float bowl, you will see a post on one side that will press into the plug to keep it in place, so a tight fit is not necessary.
            It took me rebuilding 5 bs series carbs before I had the eureka moment and realized the "peg" in the float bowl held them in. Lol

Comment

This is what we mean:

Richard
              sigpic
              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

I know those plugs are needed for the bike to run right, but can anyone explain how the pilot jet works at all with the hole capped off? I don't want to get off topic, I was just curious.
                1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Here we go:

There is a downward sloping passageway going from the main jet to the pilot jet as shown by the black allen key.

If you shine a light into the pilot jet passage you can see the light down the main jet:

Another good reason to use an ultrasonic cleaner. How many pepes knew that one was there?

The carb bodies themselves are truly works of art. If you look at all the machining holes, plugs and passageways there are. Must have taken lots of man hours to create each one.
                  Richard
                  sigpic
                  GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                  Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Thank you Londonboards! It makes perfect sense now as to where the fuel is picked up from for the pilot circuit with that hole capped.
                    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

ok, so... if the caps do not fit tightly, that is not an issue, finally??
                      I think I'll make my owns in aluminium...

Comment

I'm only guessing that they put a rubber plug in there as it was easier to assemble than an aluminium one. As long as that little passageway is clear then you should be OK.

At the same time, I can't get my head around someone willing to spend that amount of time and effort to manufacture a plug when they are so cheap to buy. But then time for me is the most valuable commodity.
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          There is a ridge in the float bowl that holds them in.
                          Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Vulgar man!
                          Yes but so true.

Use the OEM RUBBER ones; they work.

Comment

The rubber ones just have to fit reasonably snug as the bowl compresses them a bit when you assemble it.
                            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

ok thanks! if I just put them inside the hole and return the carb, they just fall....

Other ask: about the axial play, when the carb axis move, is it possible to permit a little axial play when moving them? (less than 0.5mm)?
                              thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X