Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS1000G: list of parts & where to get them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000G: list of parts & where to get them?

I'm going to get the carbs on my GS1000G fully sorted. It runs well but idle is slightly erratic. I expect that if I take the carbs off, that'll be the last time the various rubbers etc will be of any use. The car-to-head rubbers look like they've never been disturbed, so after 35 years I'd be surprised if they won;t need changing. Also the carb-to-airbox rubbers.

So I'll nee 4 of each of those, but what else should I get? Aren't there O rings between the head and the rubbers? What about the diaphragms in the carbs? Anything else inside the carbs that is likely to need replacing?

I might as well buy the lot in one go rather than keep messing around ordering bits as I find I need them. I would also appreciate it if anyone could tell me the best place to buy these parts (in UK that is). I've read some horrific looking prices for the rubbers so I'm expecting to have to fork out the best part of £200 on carb parts, but obviously, if there's anywhere better than anywhere else on both price and quality, I'd like to know!

Thanks in advance.

Here for how to do it: http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...d_Tutorial.pdf

Here for O-rings, : http://www.cycleorings.com/

You may also need a set of pilot jet plugs.

I bought my last set carb-to-head boots from Everett Powersports in the USA - boots, O-rings and clamps around £120 delivered. Another option is to try to soften your current boots with some oil of wintergreen. I haven't tried it myself yet, but several guys on here have reported varying degrees of success.

I don't know where to source your airbox-carb boots.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Thanks for the links Steve, much appreciated. The 'How To' pdf looks well worth keeping.

If anyone else on here can suggest where (preferably in UK) I can get the carb-to-airbox rubbers, and carb diaphragms - at the best price/s - I'b be grateful.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-24-2016, 04:43 PM. Reason: Typos

Comment

Take another look, "steveb922" is also from the UK. He may have given you those particular links for a reason.
        If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by Who Dat? View Post
          Take another look, "steveb922" is also from the UK. He may have given you those particular links for a reason.
          Yeah, I did notice matey, doesn't stop me still hoping though!

Comment

Are you sure you need the diaphragms? They're pricey!!
            1980 GS550ET

Comment

Robinsons have your airbox to carb hoses for £16.88 which is pretty reasonable. And £31.90 for the carb to head boots.
              Last edited by hampshirehog; 01-25-2016, 06:19 PM.
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Have a look here - he might not have all you need, but diaphragms for $20 each, and GS1000 (listed) boots are a real possibility if you know exactly what carb bodies you have. This guy supplies the microlighters, so in-air breakdowns with carbs falling off are not viewed lightly.
                JBM Industries rubber carburetor holder socket boots, flange intake sockets, vibration isolators, stainless steel exhaust springs, for Rotax 912, 582, 503, 447, 377, Zenoah & HKS engines. Yamaha 650 SX and TX Mikuni BS-38 and 34 CV carbs. Diaphragms & holders.
                Last edited by Grimly; 01-25-2016, 10:47 PM.
                ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

You could try Allensperformance as well.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                  X