Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb

Since my last cleaning of the carbs, the bike is running well with one exception. On occasion, it feels like it has bad gas or else some other moisture in the tank. It gives the bucking sensation like water in the gas but this happens no matter what brand or quality of gas I use so I don't think I am getting gas with water in it.

Is this an indication that I still have some passages in the carbs that need more cleaning? I have tried different things in the gas to help clean things but I still have the same problem.

I did the proper dipping followed by spraying cleaner through the passages and blowing them out. I also checked the level of gas in the float bowls and it appears that all of them are at the same level. I need advice on what direction to take.

Thanks,

Larry
    Last edited by alke46; 02-01-2016, 03:25 PM.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

An electrical miss would be my guess. Have you ever checked/changed your coil wires and caps?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes, the caps were replaced but that was 6 years ago. I will check it out though.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Make sure your mechanical timing advancer is not sticking.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Does it still have points? If so, when was he last time they were checked and adjusted?

Comment

Make sure your slides, if CV carbs, are all free to move and drop with a "thump" sound. Intermittent problems are tough enough to diagnose in person let alone on an Internet forum. The previous respondents have covered the ignition side I'm trying to make sure the carbs are clean and working properly since you mentioned that "after my last carb cleaning". I have to guess that it ran fine up until then. Also make sure your charging circuit is working. Low voltage can cause problems running especially at higher RPM.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Make sure your mechanical timing advancer is not sticking.
              This I will have to have a look at.

Originally posted by JJ View Post
              Does it still have points? If so, when was he last time they were checked and adjusted?
              Yes, it still has points. They looked good the last time I checked them a couple of weeks ago.

Originally posted by jdvorchak View Post
              Make sure your slides, if CV carbs, are all free to move and drop with a "thump" sound. Intermittent problems are tough enough to diagnose in person let alone on an Internet forum. The previous respondents have covered the ignition side I'm trying to make sure the carbs are clean and working properly since you mentioned that "after my last carb cleaning". I have to guess that it ran fine up until then. Also make sure your charging circuit is working. Low voltage can cause problems running especially at higher RPM.
              VM carbs. Yes it was running better before the carb cleaning but that was a while ago. The bike sat idle for 2 years and when I was ready to put it back on the road I figured I might as well clean the carbs due to inactivity.

I am trying to glean information in advance before I actually tear into again. Seems like I have lots of stuff to check.
              I will report back when or if I finally find the culprit that is causing the miss.

Thanks a lot fellow GSers,

Larry
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

is there an inline filter? how does the screen look on the petcock?

Comment

My bike did something similar until I synced the carbs. Went away after that.

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
                    is there an inline filter? how does the screen look on the petcock?
                    No inline filter. Petcock screen is clean.

Originally posted by bikemtn View Post
                    My bike did something similar until I synced the carbs. Went away after that.
                    Carb synch is good.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post

Yes, it still has points. They looked good the last time I checked them a couple of weeks ago.

What exactly did you check or do with the points a couple weeks ago?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

[QUOTE=tkent02;2263314]What exactly did you check or do with the points a couple weeks ago?[/

This, plus how old are the points and condensors?
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          What exactly did you check or do with the points a couple weeks ago?
                          I just looked at them closely to see if there was any pitting and also checked to see if the gap was still OK. It was.

[QUOTE=Big T;2263317]
                          Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          What exactly did you check or do with the points a couple weeks ago?[/

This, plus how old are the points and condensors?
                          The points and condensors were installed about 4 years ago but the bike has sat idle for the last 2 years +/-.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Today's findings.
                            I have the bike torn down to do some maintenance items and I pulled the hot leads from the coils just to see what voltage the coils were getting. One lead shows 12.1 volts while the other lead is only showing 10.6 volts. No coil relay mod on this bike.

Does this sound like an indication of dirty connections somewhere? And would this likely be the cause of the miss I am getting?

Thanks,

Larry
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

dirty connectors or a bad connector. I think both the coil power wires come from the same source and split under the tank? Trace those wires back and see

Also, take off the points cover and fire the bike up- see if one side of the points is sparking more than the other. Best done in the dark
                              Last edited by Big T; 02-11-2016, 07:01 PM.
                              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                              2007 DRz 400S
                              1999 ATK 490ES
                              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                              X