Shut Up!!!…this is how you make headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shut Up!!!…this is how you make headers

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Yup..a Rosebud and a set gauge to set all the bends the same. Send it to chromers when done.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I think that's stainless steel tubing.
      Somebody here might try their hand at making custom headers after seeing this.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Confused by the shut up reference in the title. Care to explain?
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The article doesn't say, at least not in English, but the end of the pipe is capped off while he's bending it. I think he's using the technique of filling the pipe with sand, packing it in, and capping it off before you bend anything. This keeps the pipe from collapsing or kinking at the curve. My dad told me about it but I've never seen it done before.
          Thanks for posting it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Good old fashioned hand made craftsmanship!

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
            Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Shut Up= WOW!!! COOL In this case!
              I noticed the tube was taped closed on the end, I wonder if it was full of sand to help maintain roundness of the tube?
              Fred

Comment

Was it just tape?

Comment

I did some stock car racing 35 years ago and a fellow I knew bent tubes that way, doesn't take much to bold the sand in cause it doesn't exert force,, when done right.

Comment

That's an expensive acetylene bill to do that!

I watched a guy on YouTube make headers, he filled the pipes with water, froze them then used a hydraulic pipe bender to bend. It only had a small crush in it then he fixed that. Way more economical than the torch method, if you even have a torch setup like that.
                    1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                    1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

One thing I noticed is the flame was not very hot. Carbonizing flame I think is what that's called. It had to be filled with sand or similar so it wouldn't kink. Another thing I noticed is that he only heated the outside of the curve actually stretching the metal on the outside to lesson the kink. Definitely an artist at work. Thank you for posting.

While I have a vise and an oxyacetylene torch with a rose bud, no way would I try this. I'll leave that to the pros.

Comment

Originally posted by jdvorchak View Post
                        One thing I noticed is the flame was not very hot. Carbonizing flame I think is what that's called. It had to be filled with sand or similar so it wouldn't kink. Another thing I noticed is that he only heated the outside of the curve actually stretching the metal on the outside to lesson the kink. Definitely an artist at work. Thank you for posting.

While I have a vise and an oxyacetylene torch with a rose bud, no way would I try this. I'll leave that to the pros.
                        Meh, the pros learned by trying it a few times and practicing it. I'd like to try it out, I could sure use a few good pipes. If it doesn't pan out there's nothing wasted but time, some pipe and a bit of gas.

Comment

When the pipe first started to bend, I couldn't figure out how at first. It took me a while to notice he was pushing it with his hip.

Like all great craftsmanship, it looks a lot easier than it is.

The guys who build pipes out of cones really amaze me.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                          X