Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs750l carb help

hey guys new to the forum ill make a long story short
    dad had owned bike since new has 14k on it, he installed jet kit then stripped a/f screw, bought another bank swapped one carb after breaking the float tower, now im trying to resurrect for a friend, cleaned and synced carbs, new boots runs rich on the bastard carb. thinking just need to get another carb. ive checked float levels over and over set high and low no difference thinking body may be cracked as soon as you pull the vacuum line off for the sync tool it takes off. flooding somehow???. ive set the valves checked and triple checked everything.
    any ideas or anybody have a left hand carb around?
    bike has 4 into 1 stock airbox and filter. I used to ride this old girl in high school and want to see her back on the road!!
    thanks in advance
    Last edited by Guest; 02-16-2016, 03:25 PM.

Let's start with.....does the swapped in carb have same size main jet as others? Are they all mikuni jets i.e. same exact size ? Which position in rack is it? (#1 carb is under the clutch hand lever on extreme left)
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

the carbs have all been gone through with k&l rebuild kits, so k&l jets but they are all sized the same and yes carb #1
      i also checked the bank he took them out of and the ID numbers are the same. when i had first taken the carbs apart i noticed my dad broke the float tower off a jb welded it so i drilled a hole down the center and pressed a pin in so the tower would not move and removed all the crap he had put on.

Comment

So all carbs have same k&l jets, but #1 carb is running rich? Maybe float is hanging up on gasket, maybe its needle seat is leaking....maybe your pinned float tower ain't aligned....I'll assume it's running rich in mid range?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

it runs so rich i havent even got it close to being able to ride it. the tower is a possibility but the pin slide in and out good, dont think its a needle leaking i have a gravity feed bottle on it so it should flood over but it have pulled the bowl and closed the needle and seat with the fuel on. no drips. Is it possible for a body to be cracked? I hate to do it but there is another member with a bank of carbs for sale that im debating on trying
          Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2016, 05:28 PM.

Comment

There are rubber plugs under pilot jet- they force pilot jet to be fed off main to avoid transition fun - do you have these plugs?
            Odd that you can't ride it with just one cylinder out of whack.
            1981 gs650L

Comment

Yea the plugs are all there. The bike has been down for years so pretty much starting from scratch as far as getting it running good enough to ride. Ever since my dad jacked up the jet kit it's never run right

Comment

Working...
              X