Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid carb question

Hi all,

broke down, soaked, and reassembled carbs on my 79 gs425. When putting back together I see that there are a total of five hoses: fuel, two drain hoses at the bottom next to drain screws, and two more medium sized hoses coming from the middle of the carbs. I recall that the two smaller hoses near the drain screws were not connected to anything and trailed out behind the frame under airbox, but what about the medium hoses connected towards the middle of the carbs. I can't see where those are supposed to connect. Are these also just left unconnected and trailing down?

thanks!
    jamie

One is the float bowl vents, they are probably joined together into one line or maybe it's two separate ones. It just loops up over the air box and hangs down the back open to the atmosphere.
    The other is the vacuum line which turns on the petcock when the engine is running. On my 450 that one is on the outboard side of the #1 (left) carburetor, yours may be different.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks tk. So just to confirm, I see that I have a total of 6 hoses: I see the vacuum line in the same place as you, I have a fuel line also coming from the petcock, but then I still have 4 more: 2 at the drain screws to nowhere and 2 on the middle of the inside of the carbs, which I guess are the float bowl vents, which also run to nowhere.

Thanks!

Comment

Again I don't have a 425 to look at but they are probably similar. Mine is a 1980, the EPA changed the rules in 1980, the overflows are gone. Now if it overflows for some reason it goes into the crankcase to ruin the engine. Go EPA. Without taking my bike apart a little bit I couldn't see the vent lines, that might be because I left them off, can't remember now. Anyway there should be a diagram in the Suzuki service manual that shows where everything goes. But I bet those nowhere hoses are the float bowl vents.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
        X