80 GS850L after market petcock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 GS850L after market petcock?

anyone have direct experience with this petcock on eBay?

Seems reasonably priced:

Mine flows fuel without vacuum and before I take it apart I'm thinking I need a replacement before I tear into it. Carbs were just rebuilt by me and it runs very strong but I just don't like to rely on the float needles. The other option is to use this inline fuel shut off. Lots less money but it's just not right in my mind.

Even though I'm getting this one running with the intent to flip it I still have integrity and won't sell a bike that I wouldn't let my kids ride. I've flipped a dozen bikes in that past couple of years and have never had a buyer not happy.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-14-2016, 11:54 AM.

The thought that makes me want to use good parts and not some hokey shut off valve is that there are a few gallons of a very flammable liquid sitting over a hot engine, even hotter exhaust, and a source of dozens of sparks every second, sitting right in front of my balls and going way too fast to jump off.

I don't know about that particular petcock, let us know if it works.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yeah for a lawn mower I wouldn't hesitate for a minute. I had one on my old mower because the needle valve would leak occasionally and while that mower had the cleanest oil in town I got tired of changing the oil every time I mowed! LOL

Comment

Update I just ordered that petcock on eBay.. I should get it Monday and will install and see if it works. I'll report back if anyone is interested.

Comment

Originally posted by jdvorchak View Post
          Update I just ordered that petcock on eBay.. I should get it Monday and will install and see if it works. I'll report back if anyone is interested.

Subscribed and interested. Anxiously awaiting your review.
          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

I'm expecting the petcock tomorrow or Monday but sold the bike last night! Two nice young guys came by and "had to have it tonight". I plugged the vacuum port on the petcock, carb vacuum port was plugged with a bolt and told the guy to put vise grips on the fuel line when he parks it. I also told him that I would text him when the petcock comes in and will install it free. I feel bad about letting a bike go that I'm not 100% confident but I did a good job on the carbs and brakes and rode it a few miles so other than the petcock it was ready to go. I just wasn't really ready to sell it. In my defense I told them I'd have the part Monday but he had cash and wanted it last night. I don't really blame him. It was a record 77 deg F yesterday and supposed to be close to that today. Normal temps for us is 40 deg F for the high.

Comment

I have one of those petcocks on my bike. It's a vacuum unit, seems to be OK for being all of a year or 2 old. You may need to file the petcock hole in tank slightly wider to get it on.

Sean

Comment

This one came in today and I called the kid and he brought the bike over. I swapped it out in about 10 minutes. Perfect fit. I did check vacuum function before I reinstalled the tank onto the bike. It looked good to me. I then ran it around the block to make sure everything was fine and jeesh that bike pulled hard. Good running 850 in my opinion. He is so happy and so am I now that I know the bike is in good shape. His first bike but not the first time he has ridden. He actually looked like he handled it well.

So my review is that it worked fine, no leaks and fit perfect. Doesn't get much better than that.

Comment

FYI this is the one I bought.

Comment

That is the lever-less petcock.
                    1981 GS 1000GLX.
                    1981 GS 1000G.
                    1981 GS 650GLX.
                    1975 TS 185.
                    1972 100. Kawasaki.
                    1968 100. Suzuki.
                    1970 Z 50. Honda.
                    1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
                    1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Originally posted by habsdoc View Post
                      That is the lever-less petcock.
                      Correct. Lever-less is what is on the 80 GS850L.

Comment

Working...
                      X