Another Carb Rejetting Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Carb Rejetting Question

Hey guys. So I tore apart my carbs today and was thinking about what I'd need to get if I wanted to rejet for pods and a 4-1. I've looked a the popular link here and read up on it. The wiki page it references says to go up 6 sizes in the example ex: 112.5 to 118.5. Is this correct seeing how 118.5 isn't a size since they go up by 2.5

also I have a 77 gs 750 and the carb reference here says that stock it runs a 100 main jet but when I tore my carbs up I had a 97.5. Should I base my calculations on the stock # or what I actually have for a jet?

Heres the the page I was looking at that was cited http://motorcycles.wikia.com/wiki/Rejetting

According to Mikuni, six sizes up from 112.5 would be 127.5, the 2.5 increments are half sizes.
    Last edited by tkent02; 02-18-2016, 07:27 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

For what it's worth, my bike came with K&N pods, stock exhaust, and 110 mains. It rode decently when I bought it, however I have not been able to get it running well after cleaning the carbs. I'm hoping that the jetting isn't my problem.
      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Found this somewhere on this forum...
        GS750 carb specs.jpg
        Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
        2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
        1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Jordan that's a great picture. I thought I was going crazy with 97.5 mains and 27.5. Everywhere I looked it said 100 & 15

lifevsaver and a good place to start

Comment

I've been doing some research and a lot of reading about how to really tune in your carbs but no where can i find what turning in and out the pilot fuel screw does. al they ever talk about is adjusting the pilot air screw

Here is my stock carb setting (the 77 GS750 with 97.5 mains)
            Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2016, 10:19 PM.

Comment

So, the sizing is actually in millimeters, not the 2.5 mm jet sizes when calculating proper sizing? As in two sizes up from my 92.5's would be 94.5 not 97.5's but I'd buy 95's because they are no 94.5's ?

Comment

The pilot jet is not adjustable. The fuel screw is under the carb and regulates fuel, start off around 2 full turns out and 1 1/2 on the air screw.
                -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

That 95 would be a half size up. Two sizes up from 92.5 would be 102.5.

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                    The pilot jet is not adjustable. The fuel screw is under the carb and regulates fuel, start off around 2 full turns out and 1 1/2 on the air screw.
                    Way too far out for the fuel screw on VM carbs. Something like 3/4 turn out to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      Way too far out for the fuel screw on VM carbs. Something like 3/4 turn out to start with.
                      Even with a 4-1 and pods? I set my 750 up the same way 5 years ago but have since gone back to stock ~ memory's a bit fuzzy.....
                      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

4-1 and pods add no airflow at idle and very low throttle, which is the only place the fuel screws are doing anything. I start with 5/8 of a turn out, but I'm up at higher elevation, you may need 3/4 or 7/8. And don't seat the screw to start counting, the tip is tiny and soft and will break off and stick in the port, sometimes ruining the carburetor. Very light bottoming is enough to break it off.

Comment

where is it mentioned that 5mm is a full size and 2.5mm is a half size? I missed that completely!

Comment

Originally posted by smilinbrad View Post
                            where is it mentioned that 5mm is a full size and 2.5mm is a half size? I missed that completely!
                            Not sure about the "size vs half-size" thing, but get rid of the "5mm" and "2.5mm" terminology. The sizes are NUMBERED, not necessarily MEASURED.

For example, the chart above says that the stock main jet for your carbs is 97.5. That is NOT 97.5mm.

The next available jet size (regardless whether it's a half- or full-size) will be 100. The next one after that is 102.5, etc.

The suggested jetting for pods and a pipe will depend on the pods and the pipe, but generally, add 2-4 sizes for the pipe and 3-5 for the pods.
                            So, for both pods and pipe, you might need to increase 5-9 sizes. Starting with your 97.5 jets, you would be looking for 110-120 mains.
                            Which ones you need will depend on how restrictive your pods and/or pipe are. More restrictive will keep the jet sizes lower.
                            I ride many bikes.
                            Some are even Suzukis. :D

Comment

Mikuni's jets are rated in flow rates, as in a certain amount of fluid will pass through the jet per minute at a certain pressure. Other manufacturers do it differently, some do use hole diameter, there are other methods as well. A lot time ago Mikuni jets only came in every five, such as 95, 100, 105, 110 but when they decided to go every 2.5 to enable more precise tuning those were now called half sizes so all of their old literature about tuning wouldn't be wrong. Going up a size is still going up a size, but now you can go up a half size too.

So if you read something that says go up two sizes from 100 it means 110. A lot of people don't know this, so they may say thats four sizes up, and others don't know how they are numbered at all would call it ten sizes.

Comment

Working...
                              X