Randomly dying at speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Randomly dying at speed

Hi all, everynow and then when im out on a cruise at 55mph or so in 6th gear my engine randomly starts loosing power until it dies.... And if i coast it down to speed and dump the clutch in 3rd gear she starts back up no problem and acts as if nothing happened....

Compression 150psi (cold) both cylinders
    Shims done 1000miles ago
    Spark plugs 1000 miles
    Carb cleaned 1500 miles ago

My fuel system has a gravity fed inline cartrige filter
    Other than that 100% stock

Plugs are reading perfect colors just a hair orange on the tips

Why do you have an inline fuel filter when the one on the petcock does just fine? I'd get rid of it first as it might be restricting your fuel flow too much
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Do you have a vent in the gas cap?
      It it is clogged it might create a vacuum preventing fuel flow.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Why do you have an inline fuel filter when the one on the petcock does just fine? I'd get rid of it first as it might be restricting your fuel flow too much

It was doing it before the inline fuel filter, And as a reply i may have figured out part of the problem... the fuel selector switch was in prime, i don't know if that mode delivers enough fuel for the bike to run or not

Comment

Prime means the fuel is always flowing as the On and Reserve "modes" will only pull fuel when a vacuum is applied (bike's running). Leaving it on Prime could cause fuel to flow past the floats and into the engine ultimately making it into your oil.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Definitely sounds like a fuel issue, I'd check the Petcock and vent hoses. You've got a fuel starvation issue probably

Comment

The gas tank vents through the keyhole. They do clog up sometimes, and it will make it run pretty much as you describe. To test the venting, pop the gas cap and ride with it cracked open, see if that fixes it.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

orange on the spark plug? is there any or how much rust is in your tank - his vent idea/ diag. test is a good one - just to be clear total fuel flow from the tank to your carb float bowls should be faster than main jet consumption. (highway riding) kinks in hose will do this too

maybe snap a photo of your spark plug for us. I have seen orange but the tank was horrible.
                SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Working...
                X