78 gs1000e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs1000e

Question for you guys, when I rebuild my carbs on my bike, 3 out of 4 of them were in really good shape. The forth one however was either completely worn out or someone else replace the internals with something not right. I'm still learning so I'm not exactly sure what is wrong. All I know is that the slide doesn't go the whole way closed and when I took the bike to get the carbs synced last summer, they got it as close as they could, but said that carb was out of adjustment. Bike runs pretty good, but there is a lot of popping out of the right side exhaust. So my question is, is there any place that still sells parts to these carbs or am I going to have to look for another set on craigslist/ebay to scavenge parts? 3 years ago, I found a company that was still selling the carbs, but last summer when I finally tried to call them up, they are no longer around. Thanks in advance for the help.

Compare a good carb to this bad carb - with linkage disconnected,, you might see why/ where it's hanging up. Something bent,etc. no sense syncing till the slides behave properly.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you wind up needing parts just ask on here, tons of 26mm carb parts around these parts.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

A carb sync is an adjustment
        I would say I can't believe they told you that, but anything is possible
        Bench sync them 1st
        Also, post up some pictures so we can tell you what's wrong
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Apologies for the sidetrack, but were you trying to sell this bike about a year plus ago?
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Yes I was trying to sell this bike about a year or so ago, but a lot has happened over that year lol. My wife and I divorced, but I got to keep the bike! hahaha so I'm keeping it now and fixing it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              A carb sync is an adjustment
              I would say I can't believe they told you that, but anything is possible
              Bench sync them 1st
              Also, post up some pictures so we can tell you what's wrong
              I did do a bench sync after I rebuilt the carbs, I knew doing that that there was something not right with the one carb. The slide in that carb would not adjust enough to allow the slide to close, down the whole way, there was a good 1/16" opening still at the bottom

Comment

Not a very good pic, but when I cleaned the carbs, the slide in the carb on the right would only adjust down that far. Not knowing what I was doing at the time, I decided to adjust them all to the same height and see what that would do, obviously that wasn't the right solution lol. From what I remember, everything in that carb, looked the same as the other 3 (nothing bent or anything) I don't know if at some point someone replace that slide with a shorter one, if the slide is worn down ( if that is even possible) or what the problem is with it.

Comment

The only thing that should keep the slide from going down is the adjustment arm under the top cap

a worn slide would be loose in the bore, not tight
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                  X