Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idles at 5k after clearing a pilot jet??? HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brodavid View Post
    Have a 1982 gs450t doing exactly the same thing. Similar results pulled carbs airbox checked everything can't figure out why the idle won't come down. Any help would be appreciated
    Hey I got it figured out, the carbs were so badly out if sync one was held open quite a bit. Been riding her around on some errands, feels like a dirtbike after the gs1000 around for weeks.

@Brodavid, are you absolutely certain the throttle cable is slacked? What changed when it started idling high?

Comment

Here's a pic image.jpg

Comment

Original problem was that it started and ran and installed when shifted into gear brought it home checked everything out pull the carbs clean the carbs inside and out put it back on and the idle was high. Check the slack in the throttle cable and took the throttle cable completely off the idle went down but then it chugged installed. Took the carb apart again and did a more thorough cleaning pulled diaphragm slides needles pilot jet everything I could think of the carbs spotless. We did the airbox check the throttle cable we ran it so it was no problem with the cable put it all back together and it still idles at 5 grand. Also check the sync bench check that and it seems fine.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2016, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Bench sync is a good starting point, but a vacuum sync should get rid of the idling problem. A bad sync will mimic vacuum leak issues

Comment

You said starting on full choke causes 5k rpm rev, then turning the choke off kills it?

What about slowly backing the choke down a bit at a time?

It's normal, according to Cycle World, for my bike to start instantly on full choke, with idle then climbing to 4500 rpm and rising unless the choke is quickly backed off to about half.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Brodavid View Post
              Original problem was that it started and ran and installed when shifted into gear brought it home checked everything out pull the carbs clean the carbs inside and out put it back on and the idle was high. Check the slack in the throttle cable and took the throttle cable completely off the idle went down but then it chugged installed. Took the carb apart again and did a more thorough cleaning pulled diaphragm slides needles pilot jet everything I could think of the carbs spotless. We did the airbox check the throttle cable we ran it so it was no problem with the cable put it all back together and it still idles at 5 grand. Also check the sync bench check that and it seems fine.
              So are you saying disconnecting the throttle cable reduced the idle to normal speed? Could you elaborate a little?

Comment

Working...
              X