Header Wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
    I ran a real nasty set of V&H 4-1 pipes for years and the best solution was roughing up what good chrome there was and painting them with VHT flat black ceramic. It made the set quite acceptable looking with a yearly re-spray. I also found when I changed to Delkevic 4-1 that V&H isn't a very good pipe.
    What is meant by this? Quality, performance, both?
    Just curoius. I'm not much if a fan of the V&H megaphone or any megaphone for that matter.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Both, just bolting the pipes on built power throughout the power band. Some tweaking of the carburetor adjustments resulted in a lot of top end power This is with all the baffles in place. You can also hear what is going on a lot better just from exhaust tone when tuning and my hearing suffered a lot from Vietnam. The best that could be tuned with the V&H 4-1 street pipes was definitely way behind the Delkevic. I'm not an extreme fan of Stainless headers and their quirks but it is nothing that removal and a good polishing won't cure. It just makes it imperative that I find a good SS set of studs that are long enough for the header flanges that are thicker than the V&H.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
        He seems to be making up new branches of materials science and physics as he goes along.
        Have to agree with Grimly.. This guy is trying to sell coatings... of course wrapping is bad for the pipe. How else will he sell you that $250 coating job.
        Now to the issue at hand, I've been wrapping pipes for over 40 years. Mostly on two stroke chambers where temperature in the pipe is critical to efficency. The better insulated the pipe the better scavenging in the cylinder at the port. This still applies to 4 strokes to a somewhat lesser extent thus the coatings and wraps. Wrap manufactures tell the buyer to use their insulation sprays. Again they want to sell stuff. Me, I use the high temp ceramics coating from Kal-guard, inside and out on new pipe, and still wrap the pipes on my race sleds for that bit of extra heat retention, And spray the wrap after it is on tight.
        Only had one failure in all the time I've been racing, and that was a Skidoo factory mod sled that had been wrapped at the factory raceshop. so I left it on. Mistake on my part was the pipe was wrapped all the way to the head and I never inspected it to see if it was done correctly. The pipe flange broke off about two inches past the exhaust stub from vibration and excess heat from running very lean.

Comment

Be sure to check on Amazon. I picked up 100ft of wrap for less than the cost of one 50ft roll.

image.jpg

Comment

javascript:void(0);

Were beat up and rusty TT pipes. Sanded them down, sprayed inside and out with automotive ceramic rattlecan, baked in oven, then wrapped. Exhaust collars should keep heat down and it is tuned safe(rich). Proud of how they turned out. Mini supertrapp megs to finish it off.

Comment

Looks nice.
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
              X