GS1000 1978 anyone recommend best original jets/settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 1978 anyone recommend best original jets/settings

I have a stock 1978 GS1000 with originalexhausts, original air-box and the original 26mm carbs. I have some questionsif I may...

1. I havebeen offered some 28mm Mikunis from a 79 GS1000. Would these be a simple swap over, and if so,would they make a noticeable difference?

2. If Istick with my 26mm carbs, Id like to overhaul them. Does this following kit& configuration sound perfectly correct?
    KeysterKit
    Valve Needle #2.3
    Needle Jet #Y64
    Main Jet #95
    Pilot jet #15

Or cananybody recommend anything better?

Any advicewill be hugely appreciated, thank you in advance.

GS new A.jpg

15/95 combo is correct.
    This thread has some good info on the 26s.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

You can still buy all the carbs parts from Suzuki if you want the best parts available. The 28mm carbs will be a performance upgrade for your stock GS1000, posibly they could be a simple bolt on if they are jetted properly, 102.5 mains seem to work for most people with those, everything else stock settings. Don't forget to order your o-rings kit from our member here, Robert Barr, when rebuilding the carbs.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Buying carb kits is a mistake unless the brass parts in your existing carbs are damaged. There are countless threads detailing this in the archives. Search out Basscliff's website and then look up the VM carb rebuild tutorial. This will detail how to rebuild the carbs. Regarding switching to the 28's, they may boot power a little if you run the bike to high rpm and full throttle all the time. If you don't drive this way I'd stick with the 26's.
        Last edited by Nessism; 03-10-2016, 03:48 PM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi,
          Thanks for the information it is much appreciated and Im now starting to build a picture now of my task ahead. I am though a bit confused about which parts are which.
          I'm attaching a photo, if somebody could name the various Carb components in the photo it would be very helpful... Thank you
          GS1000 Jets.jpg

Comment

The what are these in the picture are the valve needles that let fuel into the bowl when the float drops.

Comment

Like Ed said go to Basscliff site and you will find info on the carbs.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by PeteHero View Post
                Hi,
                Thanks for the information it is much appreciated and Im now starting to build a picture now of my task ahead. I am though a bit confused about which parts are which.
                I'm attaching a photo, if somebody could name the various Carb components in the photo it would be very helpful... Thank you
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]44547[/ATTACH]
                A. Jets (main?, they look too small)
                B. Fuel seats
                C Fuel screws
                D. ? where did these come from?
                E. Needles (main)
                F. Air screws
                G. pilot jets
                Last edited by Big T; 03-10-2016, 02:59 PM.
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Todd's right with it all. A are main jets but narrow body, normally the stock ones for your carbs are wide body Mikuni but those ones you have will work. D is likely your main needle 'tube' for lack of a better word. The main jet will screw into it at one end and the main needles travels within it, if that is what they are they are the wrong ones for your bike, they should be longer. The needles on the right that you asking what they are, are float needles, they sit inside B. If these are not perfectly sharp and B is not perfectly smooth so they seat well you can have fuel bypass the seat and overflow. These are typically the most replaced part during a carb rebuild, and possibly C your fuel mixture screws because either they have tips broken off or very dull but all of your mixture screws look great, you just need new o-rings for them. Make sure you also have a washer under each fuel seat (B), I can see some have the washer but not sure if all do. Oh..it looks like one of your pilot jets (G) has a broken tip, hope that's not down in the carb body
                  Last edited by azr; 03-10-2016, 05:09 PM.
                  Rob
                  Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Hi azr,
                    Thanks for the great advice, this had helped me immensely. I've taken a look and as you say E does slide into D, however I cant seem to see anyway that A screws in to D.. There is indeed an outer thread on A... but I can see anything it can screw into.

Question... how could my pilot jet tip have broken off, how could it perhaps be the carb body as you mention... what would i need to do to check?

Many thanks!

Comment

Ok then, that means D does not belong, as Todd said "where did these come from?" I bet the tubes your main jet screws into are still in your carb bodies. As for your pilot jet breaking off who knows, you'll have to get a good light and have a look down the hole and hope it's not still in there.
                      Rob

Comment

Pete,

we're all working from the assumption that the picture you posted are the parts that came out of your carbs, right?
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Allow me to say a big thank you to everybody for all of your help. Its nice to know you guys are out there!
                          TBH, your questions is relevant ...

"we're all working from the assumption that the picture you posted are the parts that came out of your carbs, right?"

They are supposedly from my carbs, however the parts were given to me by a garage who rather ripped me off, charging me a large amount for work that they said they did... which I later discovered perhaps might not be the case.
                          In the various replies you guys have given me, there have been several references to "wrong parts", which now has me beginning to wonder about the legitimacy of all the parts I have received and what if anything they have done to my carbs.

I thank you guys for your assistance and I will look deeper into this over the next few days.
                          Many thanks to everybody who contributed

Comment

Pete

Get yourself a magnifying glass and look at the parts

They all have numbers stamped on them. Write those down and compare to what's shown in the manual
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
                            X