Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Flange Gasket

Hey all,
    Just a quick question, I have an '87 gs450l. I ordered new exhaust gasket rings before removing the exhaust, the circular gasket between the muffler and the exhaust port. I was confused when I removed the exhaust though to find a rubbery gasket like material between the exhaust flanges and the cylinder head as well. I don't see a part listed on bike bandit for this gasket, and the mating surface between the exhaust flange and cylinder head only goes along half of the exhaust flange. So it wouldn't seal in any exhaust? Was it there only as a sort of cushion when tightening the flanges to the cylinder head? Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Mark

Curious to know what the long timers have to say about this too. Thanks.

Comment

A rubbery gasket like material sounds like someone threw on something that they just "thought" they could use instead of getting the correct parts. The round exhaust gaskets are all you need to put in for the pipes.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks for replying, I've been holding off on putting the exhaust back on just in case! I wanted at least one person to tell me it was unnecessary.

Comment

I must have missed this post! So is there a gasket that's supposed to sit in between the exhaust pipe and the exhaust port on the head? I have the clamp and the two half circle metal pieces that appear to seat the exhaust pipe in the port but can't see any gaskets.

Thoughts?

Comment

Gaskets are cheap.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Gs425FridayHarbor View Post
              I must have missed this post! So is there a gasket that's supposed to sit in between the exhaust pipe and the exhaust port on the head? I have the clamp and the two half circle metal pieces that appear to seat the exhaust pipe in the port but can't see any gaskets.

Thoughts?
              The old gaskets can do a good job of hiding. Make sure you don't mistake them for part of the head. a good angled pick is useful in getting them out. Yes there is supposed to be a gasket between the exhaust port and pipe flange as shown in the post below..
              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
              X